Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    E_Logic, Not sure to whom you are asking the question or which suspension method you are asking about. REI sells a 50 ft hank of 2.5-3mm utility cord and I’d take the whole thing on a kite winder. Sure, there was always some left over. But in the PNW you can get a wide range of tree diameters, though tree selection is also limited by the straps used for your hammock suspension.

Many, many times I’ve estimated … length of tarp + 2 times a little over 3 x the estimated tree diameter (circumference = Pi X diameter). So if I have a 11 ft tarp I want to end about a foot from each tree and figure the trees to max and 2 ft in diameter, then for the continuous ridge line that keeps the tarp in the oval, I’d ESTIMATE, 13 ft between trees and a about 6 ft tree circumference (but the line doesn’t go completely around the whole tree) so that’s 19 ft - say 20 ft. Times 2 because there are two sides and two trees so that is 40 ft of line. the extra 10 ft on the 50 hank is just “spare”.

Using a single line and hanging hammock off that - without the hammock itself being apart of the circuit/oval - eliminates the two lengths of the line coming back to the hammock instead of connecting to itself at the tree, like with a Dutch Hook or Wasp. It also provide a “parking lot” of the skin to side up on - assuming the connection from ridge line to the tarp doesn’t get in the way. It does mean, when adjusting the tarp, I have to move one side, then the other. You know, pluses and minuses.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Have people run into issues with the snake skin sitting at the end of the tarp? Right now I have been attaching my superfly directly to nama claws and bunching the mesh snakeskin down at one end. Have not noticed any water building up or dripping in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/ WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetles
    Thank you for the breakdown cougarmeat very helpful, but I was trying to figure the lengths of tarp and hammock connections to the single point on the suspension in greyhounds352's post (#4 in the thread).

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Logic View Post
    I really like greyhound352's setup (image on post #4). I've been trying to figure out what the length ratio should be between the tarps connection and the hammocks connection to the single point on the suspension without putting too much strain on the tarp, or the opposite and have tarp sag. How did you configure your connection lengths?
    I did a lot of trial and error test to increase the length to achieve a ridgeline that had successful tension, the pinch and twist test.

As you can see in the first photo about 10 inches from the cinch buckle to the Dutch biner.

20200522_123322.jpg

In the second photo a total length of about 28.5 inches. I like the use of the biner to allow for modularity such as hammock swap.
    20200522_123359.jpg

The tarp has a small continuous loop out of 1.75mm cord with a Dutch tarp fly connected to the tarp, on the cinch buckles is a small length of lash-it with a splice loop larkshead / cow hitch. The lash-it is used to adjust the tarp. Once set I haven't had to adjust the tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by greyhound352; 06-01-2020 at 14:10.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123