Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Dyneema tar
    Insulation
    TQ-HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch susp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Practice and focus is one way to get good at setting up fast. I only set up fast in rain. Otherwise I enjoy my time setting up and getting a good nest.
    Nothing quicker than straps and cinch buckles with a biner or dutch clip at the tree as far as I know.
    Shug

Thanks Shug! I agree. Practice is something I enjoy and will keep at. Ive been tempted to go the cinch buckle route purely to tie less knots. Its amazing the things I’ve learned getting in to hammocks a few years back. But some times I definitely crave simplicity. I’ll watch these videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Dyneema tar
    Insulation
    TQ-HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch susp
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I leave my underquilt, top quilt and net attached together. Even my inflatable pillow (deflated) is packed all together.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    What kind of bag or stuffsack do you use to do this? A bishop bag?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Dyneema tar
    Insulation
    TQ-HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch susp
    Quote Originally Posted by stebesplace View Post
    Hammock (10’ shown, no bugnet but same principle applies regardless of gathered end hammock you have) with suspension integrated into the continuous loops within a single stuff sack. Loop one end of the suspension around tree and clip off, open bag and walk to other tree with suspension and hammock coming out. Repeat on other tree. Nothing touches the ground, and then use the whoopies to adjust as needed.

In terms of bugnet, I rarely use one, and when I do - it’s separate and I usually prefer socks that go over quickly and cinch. Someday I’ll have an integrated bugnet, so this method would still work.

As for tarp, it’s the same thing as you see below, except a CR with Ti clips, but same principle of looping around and clipping to itself around the tree, walk across, repeat on other side and center/tighten. In the future I’d like to keep the tarp in a snake and just rapid deploy that way.

Packing up is the same, just stuff it all in like you see on all the videos.

Thank you very much for the pictures in your response.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustyoveralls82 View Post
    What kind of bag or stuffsack do you use to do this? A bishop bag?

A 20 liter roll top dry bag. My tarp is in snakeskin and packed on outside of my pack to deploy first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I use a continuous ridgeline for my tarp with a Dutch hook on one end and a wasp on the other. It is deployed with a snakeskin and left in it while hanging the hammock. The hammock (ridgerunner) with cinch buckle suspension and Dutch clips has the underquilt and UQP attached and the top quilt laying inside. It is rolled from one end to the other and stuffed in my backpack from previous use. I attach one end, unroll and attach the other end. Insert the spreader bars and Make fine adjustments with the cinch buckles. Then deploy the tarp which uses Lineloc 3 connectors for tightening. I never use stuff sacks for the tarp or hammock.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    This thread's made me rethinking some of my setup for the tarp, so I'm going back to the drawing board. I have a snakeskin I recently purchased from SLD, and can't seem to get it to work properly with the continuous ridgeline method I'm currently using, so going to basically do what TNhunter did above, with a Dutch style setup (wasp/hook) on 1.75 line.

I'd like to do some testing on various lines this weekend between 1.75, 2.2, and 7/64 just to see what happens, and then get a good quick deploy going with my snakeskin.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    stebesplace, If you were using the CL method I was - going from the tarp, around the tree, back to the tarp - there was no place for the skin to slide because the ridge line immediately split into a “V”. I solved that by adding about an eight inch dog bone to the end of the tarp and connected everything to that dog bone. That gave me a little length of cord the skin could slide up on.

This summer I’m trying the single line with the tarp hanging off that line (Nama Claws, Prusik&Toggle, etc.). My only concern is the play between the tarp suspension line and the hammock suspension line as the both come off the same side of the tree - trees are a little big in PNW to run tarp off one side and hammock off the other. In windy conditions, just a little action of the tarp line pushing against the hammock suspension might - no experience yet - transfer vibration to the hammock. If it does or not, if it’s a problem or not, a couple of nights in the woods will tell.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    stebesplace, If you were using the CL method I was - going from the tarp, around the tree, back to the tarp - there was no place for the skin to slide because the ridge line immediately split into a “V”. I solved that by adding about an eight inch dog bone to the end of the tarp and connected everything to that dog bone. That gave me a little length of cord the skin could slide up on.
    This was my exact problem, didn't have a good way to keep the snake on, deploy, with the CR setup I had, but I'll test the dog bone method out for sure. I felt like my brain couldn't process the issue, and I stood there dumbfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    This summer I’m trying the single line with the tarp hanging off that line (Nama Claws, Prusik&Toggle, etc.). My only concern is the play between the tarp suspension line and the hammock suspension line as the both come off the same side of the tree - trees are a little big in PNW to run tarp off one side and hammock off the other. In windy conditions, just a little action of the tarp line pushing against the hammock suspension might - no experience yet - transfer vibration to the hammock. If it does or not, if it’s a problem or not, a couple of nights in the woods will tell.
    I had a setup like what you describe when I was out last fall at Point Reyes, which had some larger redwoods to tie against. I had the tarp line and hammock suspension touching, and with some late afternoon wind on the coast, and a bit of rain, noticed no vibrations, nor felt any sort of rub transferred into the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    stebesplace, thank you for the report that vibration transfer from tarp to hammock suspension isn’t an issue. And I can always come off the tree a little further apart on both suspensions - one just wouldn’t be tangent to the edge of the tree. As I’ve come off the center of the tree for years, without any appreciable wear, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Yeah, I was dumfounded for a while myself, I liked my CL setup because if I needed a sight adjustment centering the tarp, I just had to pull on the line and the whole system would move (like a clothesline on a pulley) instead of having to move one end, then the other. But where was nowhere for the skin to live when slid off the tarp. I could temporarily unclip the connection to the tarp and slide the skin up one leg, but one of the features of skins is the setup control in the wind which means the ability to slowing unveil the tarp while it’s ridge line support is intact - and I’d loose that.

Extending the end of the tarp with an 8 inch doggone (or loop), create’s a “parking lot” for the skin.

Too bad the Nama Claws are only sized for 1.75mm. I created a similar support style for my 2.5mm cord using plastic toggle bars on a Prusik. Once done, I discover the toggles were too big in diameter to fit in the tarps ridge line D-rings. Also, those toggles wouldn’t play well with the narrow end of the skin.

I can imagine a variety of solutions using smaller hardware or - strange but true - just knots and loops. But it was “funny” to get all done making three toggle pairs, carefully tying double fisherman’s knots, heating the cut ends, etc. - sitting back with a smile at the good looking toggles. Then picking the tarp to see the plastic was too large to fit in the D-Ring. I guess I should have checked the size first. But where’s the adventure in that
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/ WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetles
    I really like greyhound352's setup (image on post #4). I've been trying to figure out what the length ratio should be between the tarps connection and the hammocks connection to the single point on the suspension without putting too much strain on the tarp, or the opposite and have tarp sag. How did you configure your connection lengths?
    Last edited by E_Logic; 05-31-2020 at 15:36. Reason: Mentioning who I was responding to

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast