Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Done is done, but I wouldn't encourage spraying anything in the motor.
    Faced with possibly scrapping the machine or cleaning out with contact cleaner and a light spray of oil to lubricate the tail bearing, it was worth a try.
    I used to work with subsea motors with 100Hp from 3300Vac which are oil filled.

It survived the UQ, so I can hold off getting a replacement.
    IMG_20200530_164820.jpg

An old 221 would be fine. They were built when things were made to last and be repairable.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    That looks nice.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed View Post
    That looks nice.
    If you have time visit the Clydebank Sewing machine museum
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXNTM7fCVcE

and watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIMxwy8CLkw

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    An old 221 would be fine. They were built when things were made to last and be repairable.
    You are better off with a Singer 306K or a similar sewing machine build in Kilbowie Scotland during the years from about 1954 to 1965. The Singer 221 is too limited for your purposes. This maschine looks only nice and small but is not able to make a single zig zag stich. It is more for decoration purposes or people who don't sew much. However, you can also sew a hammock with a Singer 221. As soon as you start to sew a Climashield Apex underquilt or something similar you will get serious problems. There is not much place for your fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    You are better off with a Singer 306K or a similar sewing machine build in Kilbowie Scotland during the years from about 1954 to 1965. The Singer 221 is too limited for your purposes. This maschine looks only nice and small but is not able to make a single zig zag stich. It is more for decoration purposes or people who don't sew much. However, you can also sew a hammock with a Singer 221. As soon as you start to sew a Climashield Apex underquilt or something similar you will get serious problems. There is not much place for your fabric.
    Featherweights are small, yes, but you ask anybody who quilts for a hobby and they are the gold standard for doing one thing and one thing only: a perfectly straight stitch. Not to mention portable. Made my bugnet using one. But you're right about getting any sizable amount of fabric under that arm.

All the old Singers are built like tanks, meant to be serviced by the owner, and can be had fairly cheaply (there are exceptions to this, like everything, the 221 being one of them. And the 301.)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    Gotta disagree with 'Too limited' comment.

I have been DIY'ng for outdoor gear for years and Have yet to find a project it couldn't handle. Would I like a zig zag stitch.. sure. If I found it necessary I could add the attachment. I wanted button holes... added that attachment and Life was good.

I recently made a Climashiled 3/4 UQ with no problem.

Added a nice extension table to it after doing a recent tune up and I find it absolutely a joy to work with.

Would a $1000 Juki be nice? sure.. In another lifetime.

There is some nice nostalgia that comes with it, and it hasn't failed me yet. I guess we make do with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybus View Post
    Featherweights are small, yes, but you ask anybody who quilts for a hobby and they are the gold standard for doing one thing and one thing only: a perfectly straight stitch. Not to mention portable. Made my bugnet using one. But you're right about getting any sizable amount of fabric under that arm.

All the old Singers are built like tanks, meant to be serviced by the owner, and can be had fairly cheaply (there are exceptions to this, like everything, the 221 being one of them. And the 301.)
    My mom was a collector of all kinds of sewing items and at one point had multiple 221's. She is a quilter too. Mine is a 1941 Blackside and was the nicest of the lot. Dead mint condition without a scratch. Serviced and used with a load of TLC. Cheap... Not by the prices of today's plastic semi-disposable machines. I venture a guess at a $550 - $600 price tag given the condition.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    My mom was a collector of all kinds of sewing items and at one point had multiple 221's. She is a quilter too. Mine is a 1941 Blackside and was the nicest of the lot. Dead mint condition without a scratch. Serviced and used with a load of TLC. Cheap... Not by the prices of today's plastic semi-disposable machines. I venture a guess at a $550 - $600 price tag given the condition.
    Nice! My wife inherited her grandmother's and it is amazing! Or should I say, I inherited it! Don't think my wife's used it once. I find it a truly incredible piece of machinery and history. Came with all the bits, owner's manual, oil can, buttonholer, and a odor-free case!

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    "Not by the prices of today's plastic semi-disposable machines"

Semi disposable is a good description of my machine. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it's still working after it's mini overhaul.

I think Zigzag does come in handy for binding raw edges and definitely needed with stretch fabric, so the very early machines are out

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybus View Post
    Nice! My wife inherited her grandmother's and it is amazing! Or should I say, I inherited it! Don't think my wife's used it once. I find it a truly incredible piece of machinery and history. Came with all the bits, owner's manual, oil can, buttonholer, and a odor-free case!
    The case... Unfortunately the felt drip pad under the machine is often overlooked during servicing and is often a source of some real stank. Like yours mine is complete (though I did add the button hole attachment afterwards). Not sure if mom pieced it all together to make one complete kit or if she bought it that way.

I think Zigzag does come in handy for binding raw edges and definitely needed with stretch fabric, so the very early machines are out
    If I had zigzag I would use it, no doubt.

For raw edges on our UL fabric, I either hot knife it, or do a rolled hem using a 1/4" double rolled hem attachment.

Most of the attachments you can buy for new machine work fine.. rolled hem, edge binding etc. Just have to watch that you don't scratch the clear coated paint on the bed. Walking foot attachment attaches and works, but I don't use it.

I just made a pair of fleece zippered thigh high leggings. Easy to don and doff without taking hiking shoes off. Stretchy fabric for sure. Long stitch length and no coaxing the fabric.. came out great.

I think the absence of a zigzag makes the user think outside the box a bit when you have to get things done.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Hey, OP. I'm getting interested in DIY'ing a hammock with integrated net, and I was curious if you were working from a pattern. Yes? If so, is it available anywhere?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast