Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Yes, that was the one. Funny thing is yesterday I spent some time configuring a Trail Lair on the SLD site. I would have done some things differently, e.g. the color, removable continuous loops, a removable ridge line (I like to use a whoopie ridge line and tinker with ridge line length). I am a DL person because I like to use a pad at times and for bug protection. A 11 ft. would have sufficed for my 6 feet, but 12 ft. wasn't a problem and I thought it might have additional resale interest for larger folks. I wasn't really looking for a backpacking hammock as I have my Hammocktent 90 degree hammocks and a SL WBBB XLC for that niche. I wanted it more for every night use, a role my DH Sparrow currently occupies, and for truck camping. Mostly, I love to try out different hammocks, hang on to the keepers and pass along others to folks who can put them to better use.

All for an excellent price.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Going back to the WB XLC/Eldorado comparison to the Trail Lair -- my verdict is in and it was "return the Eldorado to Warbonnet". I missed the quilt hooks that the Trail Lair has and fought with keeping the underquilt in place all night. The Eldorado's footbox works well and kept the calf ridge to a minimum. The tie-out by your head/chest to keep the bugnet off your face is awesome.

But my main issue was the Dream-tex fabric...what is so smooth and comfy and soft in the Ridgerunner felt stiff and made unforgiving ridges around my upper body in the Eldorado.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Okey Dokey. Replaced the nightly DH Sparrow with the newly arrived Trail Lair this afternoon for testing. Since it was a 12' vs the 11' Sparrow I added another four foot pole section into my hang set up. The hang set up can pivot 90 degrees to the long axis of my home as needed. But for now I have been enjoying the delights of it doubling as my Netflix/Amazon couch as well as for night sleeping. Thought I'd post a pic of the comforts. The height above deck for the poles is just over six feet, hence mostly out of the way. Note I'm making more progress on completing my home and by this winter I will be able to unbox all the absolutely essential stuff that has been stored mostly unused for three years now (maybe I should get a clue?)

As par for the course, even though I've never golfed in my life, I had to do some experimentation with the ridge line length because I have found both the WBBB XLC and DH Sparrow ridge line sweet spot to be longer than OEM. For a quick and dirty I added a six inch CL to the OEM fixed ridge line. Once again, I find this an additional length to the OEM ridge line to hit my sweet spot and lets my outboard leg to lie flat as a flitter as Shug would say (or at least I imagine he would say something like that?). At this point I am mulling over my SOP of replacing the OEM ridge line with an adjustable whoopie, but I've also realized it takes me about 30 seconds to remove the CL to return to the OEM ridge line length. I would need to do that to accommodate the bugnet and top cover when needed. However, since the hammock receives nightly and daily use without the bugnet or cover I will leave the CL for now. Excuse the messy knots as I had a lot of extra rope to get up and out of the way.

SLDTrailLair06282020_4.JPG

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12