Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

10oz tarp

I'm looking to get a new standard hex tarp with a weight of 10oz or less. I know dyneema is the king of lightweight, but i wanted to explore other options. I know of membrane silpoly .93, and xenon sil .9 does anyone have any experiences (positive or negative) about these two .9 silpoly fabrics ?
    What about .77 MTN silnylon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I know of membrane silpoly .93, and xenon sil .9 does anyone have any experiences (positive or negative) about these two .9 silpoly fabrics ?
    Maybe not quite in the ballpark, but I have Hammock Gear's Quest tarp, which was described as Xenon fabric when I bought it. Now I think they simply say it's silpoly without specifying Xenon silpoly: https://hammockgear.com/the-quest/

The specs say theirs is the 1.1 fabric though, not the 0.9. The weight listed on the website is close to what you want, at just over 11 ounces for the 11-foot version. I have the one with the 12-foot ridgeline, which they spec at 12.6 ounces. The weight of my tarp, plus the continuous ridgeline from which to hang it and all the attached guylines is about 16 ounces. What I like about it is its packability. It's quite small in the stuff sack and fits easily into an outer pocket in my pack.

I've managed to poke some small holes in it somehow, probably from a pine cone falling on the tarp, but nothing major. I patched them with clear silicone and have been using the tarp for (I believe) three years now.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

10oz tarp

thanks for your insight!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I put about 8 holes in the .93 within 30 seconds of setting it up for the first time. I couldn't believe it!

Since then I vowed never to mess around with the most important piece of gear to keep me dry and comfortable...or even alive. A few ounces could draw the line between a successful and totally ruined trip.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Dutchware advertises their Xenon Sil .9 ultralight hex tarp at just over 9 oz. Add tie outs & hardware & you're still in the ballpark.

You can go even less with an SLD Asym tarp... mine weighs 6.3 oz. with tie outs, in the stuff sack.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I put about 8 holes in the .93 within 30 seconds of setting it up for the first time. I couldn't believe it!

Since then I vowed never to mess around with the most important piece of gear to keep me dry and comfortable...or even alive. A few ounces could draw the line between a successful and totally ruined trip.
    I read your review of the .93 membrane silpoly a while back. I'm thinking of avoiding it too. Did the .93 silpoly have a ripstop grid?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm looking to get a new standard hex tarp with a weight of 10oz or less. I know dyneema is the king of lightweight, but i wanted to explore other options. I know of membrane silpoly .93, and xenon sil .9 does anyone have any experiences (positive or negative) about these two .9 silpoly fabrics ?
    Also check out Enlightened Equipment Paladin. Claimed 8oz or so (and the claimed weights are always really close to actual) although tarp width is less than HG std DCF hex. However, with cordage it should be in the 10oz range if you dont use a bunch of metal bits.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I read your review of the .93 membrane silpoly a while back. I'm thinking of avoiding it too. Did the .93 silpoly have a ripstop grid?
    I had it for such a short time, but I do not recall any kind of grid or pattern to it.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Also check out Enlightened Equipment Paladin. Claimed 8oz or so (and the claimed weights are always really close to actual) although tarp width is less than HG std DCF hex. However, with cordage it should be in the 10oz range if you dont use a bunch of metal bits.
    That paladin tarp looks like something I'd be interested in. Thanks for pointing that out. It's 7d silnylon with a ripstop grid. It might hold up better compared to the .9 silpoly fabrics that don't have the ripstop grids.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I had it for such a short time, but I do not recall any kind of grid or pattern to it.
    I checked with the manufacturers who produce .93 membrane silpoly and .9 xenon sil. Neither has a ripstop grid

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast