WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    When I get back pain, it's usually because the fabric has too much stretch. In all the years I have been using hammocks, I have only gotten back pain twice from hammocks that had too little stretch.

I accumulated quite a few hammocks, and still buy new ones out of curiosity, but the hammock that has seen the most use so far is a 70D Heavyweight Double Layer XLC / Eldorado from Warbonnet. I got rid of my bed years ago, and 8 out of 10 nights, I'll hang the XLC / Eldorado. On the other nights, it's often a DIY or a hammock I want to test. So far, the DIYs I prefer, are all out of 70D fabrics. All lighter fabrics I have tried had too much stretch, and many heavier fabrics can feel a bit too firm.

Also, on all of my nylon hammocks, I need a ~89% ridgeline to feel that I'm lying flat enough.

How much do you think the double layer adds to the firmness? Would a single layer 70D work well for you too?

I slept much better last night than I have all week, though not as long as I would like. Tried a nice heavyweight brazilian hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    SLG45, see https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf

"Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16′′ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.”

The usual lore is 6 - 8 inches higher (but again, personal preference). WarBonnet’s instructions are twice that. but their hammocks are cut a little different - with the foot box - than other gathered end hammocks.
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I am very familiar with the WB instructions. My question was if that is true for the WB hammocks, why wouldn't it be true for other similar designs? Sounds like maybe you think the foot box is the answer? I've talked to other makers who won't even say 6-8", preferring to just say try it out and see what you like.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    How much do you think the double layer adds to the firmness?
    The 70D fabric Warbonnet used up to now was quite lightweight and hence stretchier than heavier 70D fabrics. As single layer it's just about OK for me, but not comfortable enough to qualify as my everynight-hammock. Two layers of that fabric make for a much firmer hammock. I like it a lot and was sad to hear that it's phased out and replaced by the 40D Dream Tex.

Would a single layer 70D work well for you too?
    Sure. Pretty much all of the DIY hammocks I kept and use are 70D single layer hammocks. The 70D Hexon Wide 1.7 that I got from Dutch is very lightweight, too, but due to the multi-directional ripstop pattern, is has surprisingly little stretch.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >My question was if that is true for the WB hammocks, why wouldn't it be true for other similar designs?

This is a question better asked to the vendors of other hammocks. There is no chiseled in stone rule. I was just mentioning that there are many, many, many posts that suggest raising the foot end a little higher to minimize a tendency to slide down towards the end of the hammock and that WarBonnet seemed to take the usual height difference to a higher level.

Whether or not it is or isn’t a recommendation of other vendors, I find shelter in the lyrics of that great philosopher, Tom Leher. “… That's not my department says Wernher von Braun."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >My question was if that is true for the WB hammocks, why wouldn't it be true for other similar designs?

This is a question better asked to the vendors of other hammocks. There is no chiseled in stone rule. I was just mentioning that there are many, many, many posts that suggest raising the foot end a little higher to minimize a tendency to slide down towards the end of the hammock and that WarBonnet seemed to take the usual height difference to a higher level.

Whether or not it is or isn’t a recommendation of other vendors, I find shelter in the lyrics of that great philosopher, Tom Leher. “… That's not my department says Wernher von Braun."
    I hear ya!

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    "I weigh 194 and would never use less than a 1.7 single-layered hammock. Some of these esoteric hammock materials feel like laying in the pudding."

Interesting...So ultra light is not always best, This makes 'dialing in' your hammock even more important. Stretchy nylon or not stretchy poly, do you have a material preference to go with your choice of fabric weight?

Hey Shug, just curious, what fabric do you prefer? What was green bean made of?

I used a hexan 1.0 last night with no issues, so maybe this is more complicated (or easier) than I had thought. Going to try a 1.6 hyperD tonight. Seems nice so far.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Shug, just curious, what fabric do you prefer? What was green bean made of?

I used a hexan 1.0 last night with no issues, so maybe this is more complicated (or easier) than I had thought. Going to try a 1.6 hyperD tonight. Seems nice so far.
    I like a 1.9 ripstop just fine overall.
    1.6 would be next choice.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12