HG Econ incubator, help choosing length

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna pull the trigger on one of these before my hike through the Va segment of the AT. The price and reviews are great, and the 3oz extra compared to the Premium is negligible enough to make it an easy choice. I’m 6’2” or 6’3” depending who you ask, and torn whether I need to go for the long version over the normal version (they designate 6’3” as the split point). Hard to imagine that even if I am 6’3” that I’d find the normal-length version unsuitable. It would save me 2oz and about $20. Any other tall guys rocking the normal length here?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    3 questions; 1) what kind of set up are you running? And 2) What kind of sleeper are you? Hot cold or indifferent? Finally 3) what conditions will this be used in?

I have since sold mine but I had a regular one. I am 6'0" and it fit "perfectly" for my length (shoulders to toes) - My Cousin is 6'5" and it was a little bit longer than a 3/4 length.

IMO get the tall version - 1/4 lb ain't nothing when it comes to comfort. Unless you are a hot sleeper (always warm) - then it might be better.

They are also easier to adjust IMHO as the 3/4 tend to be a bit tedious to dial in for some.

Bottom line I think you're better off getting a tall version unless you struggle with being TOO hot

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Thanks for your reply. I’m 100% going for full-length over 3/4. The only debate was the standard/long version. In any case, to answer your questions, my setup is a HH Ultralite Explorer (zip) which I have only just received/not yet used. Putting whoopies on as soon as the Amsteel arrives. That’s under a HH hex fly which I run on its own ridgeline.

I suppose I’d call myself an “average” sleeper. I’ve definitely had nights where I sweated bullets despite the cold, and other sleepless nights due to shivering. I don’t know if I’d pin myself as either “hot” or “cold” all the way.

My immediate plans for this setup include doing the Va section of the AT in sept/oct, plus a few 3-5 night trips here in California to get the gear (and myself) in check. I have never been a “winter” camper, but would like the setup to be capable for 3-seasons . I’m leaning toward the Economy Incubator in 30deg w/ standard fill.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Aaronbagby; 05-26-2020 at 22:09.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a long Incubator 20deg (+2oz) and a custom Phoenix 40deg (+1oz) that is 58”. I’m a bit over 6’4” and both work great. I sleep slightly on the colder side and have pushed both right to their temp ratings. Personally I think you would be fine with a standard length Incubator. If you are going 40 deg, I would not even think about it, go standard. If you are going 20 or 0 deg and want to push the temps a bit you might consider long. If you really are closer to 6’2” the standard will be fine.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    I’m pretty sure I’m gonna pull the trigger on one of these before my hike through the Va segment of the AT. The price and reviews are great, and the 3oz extra compared to the Premium is negligible enough to make it an easy choice. I’m 6’2” or 6’3” depending who you ask, and torn whether I need to go for the long version over the normal version (they designate 6’3” as the split point). Hard to imagine that even if I am 6’3” that I’d find the normal-length version unsuitable. It would save me 2oz and about $20. Any other tall guys rocking the normal length here?
    For a multi-week hike, another thing to consider beyond weight is bulk. The Econs are a great value but the extra weight comes from the 20D material of the shell material which doesn't smoosh down nearly as small as a quilt made with 10D such the Premium. And this will be even more noticeable with a larger quilt like the Incubator vs the Phoenix. Shell material has a much bigger impact on stuffed size than 850 vs 950fp down.

10D might seem like a flimsy material, but I've got 10D quilts that have been used quite a bit for several years with no issues.

Something to think about when you're carrying 4-5 days of food and need all the volume available.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    I'm 6'2" and went for a 20F Econ long, for four season camping in the UK. It has worked well for me down to -5C. I considered the standard but decided to go for the extra coverage rather than risk wishing I had it later on. Upgrading and swapping out cottage vendor gear over here is a problem, which was another factor in my case.

If you're okay with your head protruding slightly beyond the UQ the standard would probably be fine. Personally I quite like having a few extra inches of spare down at either end. This is purely speculative but I think the extra length helps the baffles function freely on the long version. I think there maybe a chance that movement may interfere with the seal of the baffles if you're pushing the size limit. Not having tried the standard UQ makes that hard to know for sure. If everything is dialled in correctly that maybe a non issue?

• + New Posts