Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Between two trees

Seriously though I've tried it all and have settled on a Continuous Ridge Line (CRL) .
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...type-and-color

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    I want to thank everyone for giving me idea's. That is why I enjoy this group. I am going to give them all a try starting with some Stingerz. Which I have been in contact with Dutch.
    Keep on hanging.

Hanging at Wizard Falls 073.jpg

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I picked this idea up from the tarp for the REI Bridge hammock (which was nice but too small so I rarely use it) and now use it for my custom DIY ultra-light and huge tarp.

I have a split ridgeline. Each ridgeline is attached to the tarp using Lineloc3's that are attached to the tarp. The other end of the line has a hook that I believe Dutch used to sell but I don't recall seeing it in quite some time. You could use something else to achieve the same effect. I wish Dutch would bring these back because I'd love to get some more.

To hang the tarp. I throw the free end with the hook around the tree and use the hook to capture the line. Now that the tarp is attached at one end, I go to the other tree and perform the same thing with the other ridgeline. If I'm lucky, the tarp is centered over my hammock and I just use the lineloc to tighten the ridgeline. If it needs adjustment, I just look and see how far off I am and loosen one of the lineloc's by that amount and then tighten up the other one.

Normally at this point I'm done with the ridgeline and then the rest is just staking out the sides. The lineloc's almost never slip but if I'm worried because I'm really tightening it like a guitar string, I just use the extra line to lock it in place.

I like this system because I don't have to worry about forgetting my ridgelines. If I want to replace them with longer/shorter lines it's easy to pull the line out of the lineloc and feed new lines in. The most complicated part of the process is throwing the clip around the tree and catching it with my other hand. Clipping it in takes about half a second. Adjustment is easy and intuitive.

And because I found it a neat idea from REI, I sewed a bit of hook-and-loop to the tarp at the lineloc so when I unclip the tarp I gather up the ridgeline and secure it with the hook-and-loop. It's not really necessary and does take a minute longer to pack up but it keeps the line nicely organized and easy to deploy next time.

IMG_9604.jpeg

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Scrope, I believe your making reference to “whoopie hooks”. On Dutch’s web site go to “hammocks”, then under “hardware”, you will see “whoopie hooks”

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/whoopie-hooks/
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL

How do you hang your tarp??

I’m experimenting with the goal of having a quick deploy system (we have another thread on this), and some sort of CRL setup since I prefer to use a snakeskin and a ridgeline under my tarp. Regardless, I’ve experimented with Amsteel, Zing-It, Lash-It, and regular nylon solid core line.

Does anyone make something like the wasp for line that’s thicker, like 7/64 Amsteel? All of these lines have pros and cons, and I prefer the thickness of my Amsteel but can’t figure out a Dutch wasp alternative that’ll fit the diameter needed.

1.75 Lash-It is fine, for example, just prefer the thicker lines. Anyway, I’m in major experimenting mode on setups in the quest for the holy grail!

Waiting on my latest Dutch bling to arrive and experiment some more with some Lash-It splicing to make a new CR.

Also I’ve confirmed Lash-It holds WAY better since it’s a smaller diameter on 7/64 Amsteel. Smaller diameters do make a difference even with both being coated. 7/64 on 7/64 slips all over the place by comparison. I feel I’m getting closer here.

Last edited by stebesplace; 05-31-2020 at 01:52.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by stebesplace View Post

Does anyone make something like the wasp for pine that’s thicker, like 7/64 Amsteel? All of these lines have pros and cons, and I prefer the thickness of my Amsteel
    Try the Loop Alien XL
    https://loopalien.com/collections/ha...itanium-rca-xl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_My...ature=emb_logo
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    Awesome, will check it out! Thanks.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I recently got a pair of Loop Aliens and I like them way more than I thought I would. I'd go as far as saying they are the most versatile and easiest to use pieces of hardware I've ever met for the tarps.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    A long history exists on this forum and the internet of addressing the best way to hang a tarp. In many ways it is a question of Pepsi vs Coke; with Dr Pepper often presiding.

My first set up was the Dutch premade Zing-it, Wasp, Dutch hook, & prusiks with soft shackle. Worked well; light weight & easy setup. On one hike, one of the soft shackles showed signs of deterioration, and my inability to fix it in the field was troubling, plus every now and then the prusiks would become fussy. If doing this system again, I would use 2mm line over Zing-it to accommodate the prusiks.

A year later, Tato connections replaced soft shackles. Didn't like that system at all, so I went to spit ridgelines using Dutch hooks & FlyZ. Easy, easy, easy . . . this has been my go to system since, but all good things must come to an end.

It was pointed out that waivering trees could place undue stress on the "not-cheap" dyneema tarp. A CRL would absorb the pull from the trees and theoretically protect the tarp from a falling branch. What is the probability of this happening? That is probably the $10,000 question.

My new system will consist of a Dutch hook, Wasp, and Nama Claws. It is about 3/4 ounce heavier than my split ridgeline but could be safer with faster set up. Like most hammock things, won't know until it is taken out in the field.

Maybe this is why I like hiking and hammocking; we are always searching for the "next best thing".

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Recalc, If you are in the hammock when that tree branch (or load of snow from a healthy branch in the winter) falls, that single line will protect more than your tarp. I’ll be trying the setup too. I wish there were Nama Claws for thicker than 1.75 line.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast