Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL

I still sleep in my ENO

And I’m 6’3”!

It’s small, don’t get me wrong, and honestly I use it more for lounging, but my SuperSub that I’ve had for about 4 years now has treated me very well, introducing me to the world of hammock camping. I also have a newish Kammok Roo Double, and Firebelly UQ that I’m testing, but eventually will get an 11-12’ HG, DH, or SLD bug net version going.

I also use an Ember 2, which I’ve retired, and I use the Eno Guardian SL primarily. I have an original Guardian but I prefer the wide mouth opening better. Makes it easy to wrap everything in and retract it when I want.

Anyway, I still like my setup, even if there isn’t much love here. Over the next few weeks I’ll go head to head with my Kammok setup, and eventually these will probably all be handed down to my kids.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I still use m8ne often for day hikes or just relaxing in the yard. They are a little small but comfortable. I have several name brands but still like my ENO starter.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Snugpak AWS
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan current
    Suspension
    Atlas XL currently
    I started off with an ENO doublenest, bought another. I use one for camping, the other I have slept in nightly for 8 months now.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Just because some or many do not like them doesn't mean there is anything "wrong" with them. If you are comfortable in them for your type of use, then nothing else matters! It's great to have gear that actually gets used

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon 1.6 Hex, Sym BugNet
    Tarp
    12'x10' Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DWG Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I hear you! I'm also about 6'1" and my doublenest works great. Two questions for you: what ridegline length do you use on it, and for the Ember 2, do you ever have issues laying diagonally with it? I find it's either covering my shoulders or my feet, but not both. I'd hate to think it's just bad design and due to my ridegline being too short, hence putting me at too much of a diagonal. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj_browne View Post
    I hear you! I'm also about 6'1" and my doublenest works great. Two questions for you: what ridegline length do you use on it, and for the Ember 2, do you ever have issues laying diagonally with it? I find it's either covering my shoulders or my feet, but not both. I'd hate to think it's just bad design and due to my ridegline being too short, hence putting me at too much of a diagonal. Thoughts?

Thanks!!
    Ridgeline is 93” for a 112” hammock (9’4”). The ridgeline is about the only thing that keeps this working to sleep in consistently I’ve found.

As for the Ember 2... unfortunately I’ve given up on mine short of modding it. It’s cut to only work for lounging (not laying flat on a diagonal), which is very limiting. I’ve since upgraded to a Kammok Firebelly UQ that I use on this and my Kammok Roo Double.

That UQ and others designed for diagonal lays work really well. Here I’m testing different connection points (toggles versus carabiners) for hanging gear like shoes off dog bones and backpack off carabiner or toggles directly.

So long story short, is ditch the Ember 2, or sell it, or keep it knowing it’s only good for lounge mode. I’d also get an Amsteel structural ridgeline in 93” from Jared at SLD, or Dutch. You’ll be very happy, and while it’s not as deep between the ridgeline and hammock like an 11’, it’s still a massive upgrade for under $10.

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon 1.6 Hex, Sym BugNet
    Tarp
    12'x10' Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DWG Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well you pretty much just confirmed what problems I was having with the Ember 2. Oh well. I put up a video on YouTube (https://youtu.be/zJGsC1MmH7U) with an idea of how to force the UQ to lay diagonally with you but it's proved to be more trouble than it's worth. But yeah, I agree and think I'm gonna have to upgrade. And 93" is just about where I have my ridgeline set with utility cord, might look into the Amsteel.

• + New Posts