HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up My new duel line tarp suspension...

I have been using a Zing-it RL w/ Dutch bling for a long time now but when I got my 11' hex from RSTBR, idk what it was, but something was just pulling me to try something new (lol). I've been wanting to try out a duel line to a while and figured this was the perfect opportunity. So, when I ordered my new hammock from HG, I also picked up 2 Line Loc 3's, 2 of their metal mitten hooks and 100' of dark olive reflective 2.3 mm line. The Locs are attached to the tarps beastie D's by a small loop of the cord right now until I make some more Zing-it soft shackles. Other than that it's straight forward: line around tree hooks back into itself with the metal mitten hook then tension with Line Loc and a slippery half for safety. So far I'm really liking its ease of use vs. the Zing-it w/ bling and not having to constantly move the wasp or re-tighten the soft shackles when they slip on the RL. It goes up and adjusts super easy. The only potential downside is that it stays with the tarp, so it could get tree sap on it. Other than that though, I went back to keeping the guyouts attached to my stakes instead of in the tarp. They now easily clip into the tarps beasties with Line Loc hooks and adjustments can still be made from underneath the tarp in bad weather. Now I don't have a rats nest to untangle if I hastily put the tarp in its skin w/o wrapping the lines neatly, I just skin it and wrap the lines around the stakes. Done.!

IMG_20200525_094631.jpgIMG_20200525_094637.jpgIMG_20200525_094647.jpgIMG_20200109_145657.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    neat!

however I'd like to draw your attention to a risky oversight

your tree straps and hammock suspension as well as your tarp suspension should all be set up so that there is no stress on the attachment point where the strap loops around the tree.
    the way you have the tarp is probably fine because there's not a lot of stress there, but on your hammock suspension, the tree should be taking all of the stress, and the end loop should have no stress on it at all or very little.

now, I can't tell in the photo if your using hardware or passing it through the end-loop. If your passing through the loop, it probably isn't going to matter much with this type of strap, but it's a good habit to be in to prevent potential failures. most commonly this technique is discussed with regards to hardware solutions such as biners.

the issue is that when you put your weight in the hammock, the strap wants to pull straight from the tree to the hammock, and if the tree-end of the strap is holding it back from being straight, then that hardware/strap stitching is working against all of that weight instead of only keeping the strap tight to the tree

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Did that on an ultralight asym tarp. All the benefits of a split ridgline and fixed some of my gripes.
    I can image the line lock failing on a large tarp in high winds however.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I realized and fixed the error when I went out to get in last night as I was doing my nightly " spider check " before opening the bug net lol. Your right though, I had run the strap just through itself but normally I use a biner or a 4mm Amsteel soft shackle to pass it through. Even though I'm not a big guy by any means at only 5'7 160, I totally agree that the forces and stress are definitely a potential failure point if it's not done the way you described above. I think Snug even goes over it several times in his many vids doesn't he? The tarps RL was done that way intentionally though so it would be lower incase of rain, but I'd normally have it set up the same way if possible. I'm on a bit of a hill and I had to get that end as low as I could to even things out as much as possible. Thank you for taking the time to go over it though! It can definitely be easily overlooked when in a rush or when just starting out. The pic was a great way to show it visually, well done! What's your take on the Line Loc? I do get a lot of wind, but figured a slippery half hitch for security would hold it.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    ... What's your take on the Line Loc? I do get a lot of wind, but figured a slippery half hitch for security would hold it.
    I was referring to the lineloc physically breaking. I believe they start deforming around 100 pounds, and probably significantly less in the winter.
    That may sound like plenty, but you see stories of split rings falling and people recommending against mason line.

Again, I loved the setup at the time. But use with caution if you like your tarp ridgline guitar string tight and theres a storm brewing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I am still a fan of the split RLs. I've gone back and forth a few times and can't see any benefit of the one piece RL. Everyone says tree sway could put too much stress on the tarp.. I say, just ease the linelocs a bit.

I'll add one more word of caution... That little mitten hook isn't going to hold. I tried those years ago. They are cast aluminum and at the first hint of stress on them they snap in half.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I enjoy trying new setups too!

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I agree that I wouldn't trust the durability of the Lineloc for that purpose. And perhaps I misunderstood, but it looks to me that you have to route the cord thru the Lineloc each time? With cold hands that would be an issue (for me).

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I am still a fan of the split RLs. I've gone back and forth a few times and can't see any benefit of the one piece RL. Everyone says tree sway could put too much stress on the tarp.. I say, just ease the linelocs a bit.

I'll add one more word of caution... That little mitten hook isn't going to hold. I tried those years ago. They are cast aluminum and at the first hint of stress on them they snap in half.
    I’ll second that. I had two metal mitten hooks snap on me one night when the wind picked up. I will be following this to see the outcome for the linelocs.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have been testing a new setup that uses Lineloc Hooks and zingit to connect the tarp in a similar manor as Chesapeake. I have been throwing a slippery half hitch just to be sure. I also use Lineloc V's on all of my tarp ground corners, with 1.2 Z-Line and once set, put the slippery half hitch there as well. It's out of habit now. Holds strong and gets the extra guy line up out of the dirt..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I enjoy trying new setups too!

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I agree that I wouldn't trust the durability of the Lineloc for that purpose. And perhaps I misunderstood, but it looks to me that you have to route the cord thru the Lineloc each time? With cold hands that would be an issue (for me).
    No, the cord stays threaded through the Loc just like if it were being used to guy the corners. To pitch the tarp, all I have to do is pass the mitten hook around the tree and clip it back into itself like a Dutch hook. Then it's positioned/ tightened w/ the Locs. Your right though, if it did have to be re-threaded each time and it were cold outside your, it would be a HUGE pain in the was lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast