Anyone hang a hammock in a 4Runner?

Ive seen the vids with the minivans. Anyone with any experience in a 4Runner?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Before I sold my gen 3 used it in combination with a tree but I didn't have enough floor to ceiling height to hang inside. When needed I just went to the neoair in the back with the seats down. You could try a shorter hammock diagonally through the 4runner strung somewhat tightly with a continuous strap going over the roof to both ends of the hammock. I didn't try it but supposed I would still weigh the hammock down enough to hit the floor with seats down.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >"don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go and do that because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

I think those are called Zombies?

My epiphany was realizing I didn’t need two trees when car camping. I remember circling campsites trying to find one with proper spaced trees that didn’t just border two adjacent sites (causing “ownership” issues.). Finally it dawned on me that I just needed one tree and the rack on the 4-Runner (now transitioned to a Jeep). It’s not inside, but it is pretty quick to set up with a “just enough” tarp If need be.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I suspected it might hang too low.

I have used my truck and a tree, but in this case, I'm not looking for a tree substitute, but rather the ability to stay inside when needed.

Will hanging a ratchet strap over the roof damage the vehicle in any way?

I wonder if there is a way to hook up the CL on the inside only. Maybe from the A pillar to the opposite rear pillar? Go through the plastic molding and attach directly to the metal?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Guess to depends on the year of the 4-Runner. Mine didn’t have a rear pillar; just rear window that would retract into the rear hatch and that hatch would fold dwon flat. I don’t recall how far forward the roof rack extended. It seems your longest diagonal would be from the front edge of the front door on one side to the rear (retracted) window on the other. With that window down a bit, and a strap closed in the front edge of the front door, and seat on that door side slid all the way forward, I imagine a loop going out, over the roof, and back in through the rear window. I don’t know that distance but it would give a strap that seems - NOT an engineer, ymmv - it would transfer most the force to the roof. But you’d really have to work on the height - low enough to get in, high enough not to be on the “ground”.

I’ve looked at other solutions - those racks that go in the the trailer hitch and the support you position in front of the tires, then drive forward a bit so the car holds them. Both distances seem too close for a comfortable sleeping hammock. And in your situation, they’d be outside. So the wouldn’t work.

If I still had my 4-runner I’d try it out for you - sorry.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts