Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fabric for best support, least weight

What fabric choice do you all like for keeping weight down, but still being extremely comfortable? If comfortable means supportive, then that's what I'm asking. If it means something else, please let me know.

I weigh 150#, and have always bought my hammocks based on the lightest fabric offered that was appropriate for my weight. Maybe that isn't the best way to sleep well, I don't know. Please help educate me. Especially today, there are only a million fabric choices. When I bought my first camping hammock, a WBBB,around 10 years ago or maybe more, there were only a few choices, and all seemed based on layers for using a pad instead of an UQ, or just to hold your body weight. What am I missing out on?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, I started out thinking that 1.0 and 1.1 ounce hammocks were the way to go, especially since I don't weigh much (165 lbs.). However, I didn't have much luck with such light hammocks. I like to call something that lightweight a "disposable hammock," because I never got more than 20 hangs out of them before I started seeing disturbing signs of wear. Sometimes, they just failed. Eventually, I moved to a 1.4 PolyD hammock from Dutch, which I'm still using. However, they discontinued the Dutch PolyD 1.4 several years ago (but I still have a never-been-used spare). I also have four or five polyester tablecloth hammocks, but they aren't lightweight, coming in around 2.2 or 2.4 oz. I really like polyester, lightweight and minimal stretch, but it didn't survive the marketplace and there's not much to be found out there.

Eventually, I moved to Dutch Hexon 1.6 - not too stretchy and not too stiff. I have no interest in 1.0 and 1.1 ounce hammocks, and there's really nothing in between there and widely available 1.6 ounce hammocks. I wish somebody would bring back PolyD 1.4, but that probably isn't going to happen.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I recently got a Dream Hammock Darien made from 1.3 MTN XL. It's a 6/6 high tenacity nylon and has less stretch than some other light fabrics. It's rated at 275 lbs, which is also pretty good for an ultralight fabric. At your weight a 1.0 fabric would be fine, but those are typically more stretchy than the 1.3 MTN XL. Based on what you're asking about, it seems like that might be a good fabric to consider.

The Darien I mentioned is 11'x62" and that model has an integrated bugnet with zipper on one side. It's 15.1oz in the stuff sack with the shock cord tie outs.

Thanks guys that is good info.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I recently got a Dream Hammock Darien made from 1.3 MTN XL. It's a 6/6 high tenacity nylon and has less stretch than some other light fabrics..
    When it comes to UL fabrics, Ripstopbytheroll lost my trust when they came out with ROBIC. I bought some Robic 1.0 XL fabric, and before I got to sew up the hammock, they discontinued sales. Then Dutch sued them and I don't know where that's at, but let's just say I won't be buying 1.0 fabrics from Dutch or Ripstopbytheroll. The 1.3. Mountain sounds nice, but I'm done experimenting.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I recently got a Dream Hammock Darien made from 1.3 MTN XL.
    +1 on the MTN 1.3 from Ripstop by the Roll. I made myself a hammock in this fabric. There are photos somewhere on my Instagram page, back in November, I think. cmc4free noted that Dream Hammock will make you one. Other vendors who offer it include Autumn Ultralight and Arrowhead. There may be others, but those are two with whom I've done business.

MTN 1.3 is not a soft fabric like Hexon, or even Argon. It's somewhat plasticy and slick, but at 160 pounds I like the support with just a smidge of stretch.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Does the 1.3 breath well? Can anyone compare either the 1.3 or the 1.6 to the Warbonnet dream tex? I feel like the dreamtex is somewhat plasticky as well, but maybe we all feel this a bit differently.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Does the 1.3 breath well? Can anyone compare either the 1.3 or the 1.6 to the Warbonnet dream tex? I feel like the dreamtex is somewhat plasticky as well, but maybe we all feel this a bit differently.
    It is pretty complex, ain't it?
    Uncalendared fabric will breathe a bit better than calendared. Something to look into.
    From Warbonnet:
    Available in our new Dream–Tex fabric… built just for hammocks, it combines a traditional ripstop weave with a bias-directional diamond grid to create a fabric that has an incredibly comfortable cotton-like texture. Add in a fantastic strength to weight ratio and just the right amount of stretch and you have an ideal hammock fabric. 40 denier 1.6 osy

MTX....https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...nt=40060823693

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I appreciate the links. I watched your video a couple of weeks ago or so. I will look at it again when my internet connection is stronger. Unfortunately, I'm still not very educated on the different properties of the different fabrics. I have read all the manufacturers info, but short of hands on experience, I am hoping to hear what users think of them.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I appreciate the links. I watched your video a couple of weeks ago or so. I will look at it again when my internet connection is stronger. Unfortunately, I'm still not very educated on the different properties of the different fabrics. I have read all the manufacturers info, but short of hands on experience, I am hoping to hear what users think of them.
    Yea I remember when the fabric choice was olive or brown and a couple different weight choices. It’s crazy how many choices there are now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast