Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, HudsonR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Semi-permanent backyard hammock?

I've got a half dozen or so camping hammocks purchased years ago from recommendations here . I sometimes set one up in my backyard, but don't ever leave one up for extended times since they're all fabric, and catch wind, leaves, etc.

My daughter just saw your typical rope spreader bar hammock in a neighbor's backyard and asked if I'd like one of those for Father's day. I've laid in these just a few times, but not enough to know if I'd like one.

Is anyone enjoying a rope or other mesh type hammock and have specific models or features they would recommend? Gotta be something low maintenance that won't easily mold, mildew, or require maintenance. Plenty of trees to choose from, so I don't think I'd use a hammock stand. (Surely this has come up before here on HF, but a quick search didn't help me much.)

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I wouldn’t think lying on the rope bed would be comfortable after a while, but we’ve had great success padding similar hammocks with an outdoor lounge chair pad. But that was for a gathered end nylon weave hammock. Also, that hammock was under an overhanging roof; not out in direct sunlight. You may want to stay away from cotton because of water retention and stretch potential. Also make sure you have a place to hang it so the span/sag will work for you. “fully outdoors” in the afternoon is tricky because without shade/tarp the sun is often right in your eyes. And without a breeze it can get pretty warm.

These days, I try to minimize my exposure to sunlight. Not like I’m a vampire or anything. Just that my skin has had enough sunlight during my foolish teenage tanning years.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    What you are probably looking for is a "Mayan" hammock. They are generally made from cotton yarns.

Regardless of what type or brand of hammock you get, i recommend you take it down when not in use. They will all suffer from UV damage, water/mildew, and will collect dust and pollen from air. Wildlife will defile it and spiders will build webs.

I dont want to head out back for a relaxing afternoon only to lay my head in a spider web and start sneezing from the pollen cloud accumulating from pine tree next door.

I put mine up with climbing carabiners and store it indoors in a little wicker hamper.

• + New Posts