Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Yea I remember when the fabric choice was olive or brown and a couple different weight choices. It’s crazy how many choices there are now.
    No joke! I really like the fabric in my decade old WBBB light double layer, but cant figure out exactly what each layer is, and then cant compare it to other makers stuff. Also cant guess how a single layer of it might stretch compared to the current double layer or another maker's single layer.

Hammock
    Dutch netless Robic 1.2 xl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE Enigma 30
    Suspension
    hammock anchor
    I had a Robic 1.2 made a few years ago and am very happy with the weight to stretch ratio. 195 lbs here. Sound like MTN 1.3 is even better.

Maybe I was wrong about my old BB. Sit had been quite a while since I slept in the BB, so I slept I it last night and woke up with a slightly sore back. First time with any of my hammocks that has happened. Does that mean this one isn't giving me enough support?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I haven't got one yet, but 1oz monolite is pretty strong and has very low stretch for its weight. I only know of one catastrophic failure. I'm going to make one when it gets muggier.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by bearito View Post
    I haven't got one yet, but 1oz monolite is pretty strong and has very low stretch for its weight. I only know of one catastrophic failure. I'm going to make one when it gets muggier.
    1.0 Monolite from RBTR is my summer camping hammock. I have a bunch of nights on mine and in it looks brand new and I see no signs of wear. I have close to 30 hammocks and the Monolite is in my top 3 favorites. I’m 6’3”, 210#.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    I used to build mine out of 1.0/1.1 and have edged slightly higher with some of the changes and discontinuations at RSBTR.

I have about 50 nights in the Mountain 1.3 from RSBTR and really like it.

For the past 9 years I have been using a hammock mostly for thru hikes each summer, during which I have been packing fairly light (under 9lbs base weight depending on season). I am 6’5” 195lbs.

I have switched to a hammock off trail since late last year as well.

The stretch in the 1.0/1.1 fabrics is not as comfortable as the 1.3oz.

The sweet spot for me is at the 1.3oz. The uncomfortable stretch isn’t there, and the hammock is still reasonabllight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Twelve months ago, I would have swore the 1.0 Monolite was King. I made a DIY eleven foot Monolite hammock with removable nets (one half wit style and one full zipper). Then the Monolite suffered a catastrophic failure on the trail. I won't bash the Monolite hammocks because I was able to sleep in the 1.0 for many consecutive nights, but I wouldn't use one for anything other than car camping or lounging.

I can do 1.0 Hexon for one night, maybe two. Longer and it's a bit too stretchy for me.

Tried 1.2 Robic and found it had way too much stretch.

Mtn 1.3 is my winter netless. The fabric is something of an oddity. It feels and sounds calendared. It has a crinkly, crunch demeanor, but it's about perfect as far as stretch goes. I can do multiple nights in it and at some point will make another with a half wit net.

I have some 1.0 Hyper D and was going to make a test hammock out of it, but when I started working with it, I found it felt too much like the 1.0 Hexon so I switched that hammock build to 1.6 Hyper, which is my fabric-sweet-spot. I have four 1.6 Hyper D's in various configuration and find it to be the best balance and comfort for me.

I was fortunate to be able to visit with a former HF member who had dozens of hammocks in every fabric that was available. He and his wife were full time hammock'rs. I tried a bunch. If you the option to do this, maybe once group hangs resume, there's no better way to decide.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Another great resource I stumbled on is RSBTR will send out sample packs so you can feel the fabric and even do some stretching to the swatches. Of course this doesn't give a full picture as to how it will perform as a hammock or whatever gear you're using it for. But it's better than website descriptions and maybe even other's experiences (although they shouldn't be discounted) since that is ultimately subjective.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nachodaddy0828 View Post
    Another great resource I stumbled on is RSBTR will send out sample packs so you can feel the fabric and even do some stretching to the swatches. Of course this doesn't give a full picture as to how it will perform as a hammock or whatever gear you're using it for. But it's better than website descriptions and maybe even other's experiences (although they shouldn't be discounted) since that is ultimately subjective.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I thought about ordering some a few weeks ago, but Dream Hammock sent me a couple of free samples with an order I placed. Though that was very considerate of them, as you said, it is hard to translate the feel and stretch of a 6" swatch into the performance of a hammock over an 8 to 10 hour period of use, day after day. At least it is for me.

The good news is that at least so far, I have found a 1.25 and a 1.6 to work pretty well. I'm trying another 1.6 shortly, and I have a 1.0 to play with as well. Very tempted to try a 1.3 mtn hybrid.

Just a quick follow up for anyone else out there who might benefit. Not likely, given how personal this stuff can be! For reference, I am 5'6", 150 pounds, no back issues or other particular factors to work around or accommodate.

I have now used: 1.0 hexon
    1.25 multicam from SLD
    1.3 mtn hybrid
    1.6 hexon
    1.6 hyperD
    Plus my old WBBB light double layer, a 1.1 40D, if I remember correctly.

Aside from camping hammocks, I have used several from La Siesta, one from Rada, and a few other odd and ends that I cannot classify.

The 1.6 hexon is too stiff for me. The 1.0 hexon is usable, but a bit too thin and stretchy. I think it would make a great emergency hammock for the jungle, or an everyday carry hammock for just in case you can hang somewhere.

The 1.25 MC and the 1.3 mtn are both very comfortable. The MC has more stretch, and the mtn seems a little more plasticky (as others have said), but both give me a good nights sleep. The 1.6 hyperD also gives me a good nights sleep, and stretches less than the MC, but more than the 1.3 mtn. It is very comfortable, but heavier than I need for a camping hammock. I can see why so many find it to be their go to material.

The WBBB is also pretty usable, but it gives usually gives me an achy back in the morning. Thicker and heavier and with less stretch than the 1.0 hexon, but not as good for me. There is still something about it I like though, maybe nostalgia as it was my first modern hammock.

The La Siesta stuff has it's own idiosyncrasies, but overall, I don't favor them. Well made, but I just don't sleep that well in them. Not really sure why yet.

The Rada is a net style hammock. Very comfortable to lay on, and probably ideal for hot humid weather. You don't feel the net, as it is very well designed, but adding insulation is not as easy as with other hammocks. Probably best for when the AC breaks, lol.

Given that many people much heavier than me like the 1.0 weight fabrics, and many people my weight like the heavier weight fabrics, I don't know that anyone else's experience will be of much help, but there it is. I still want to try some heavier stuff, but I can't see carrying the weight for field use. The 1.25/1.3 seems to be the sweet spot for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12