Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The WB Ridge Runner or the Dutch Banyan?

Hey folks, I’ve read quite a few posts about both hammocks, but was hoping for some more specific info.

These two are probably the most known bridges out there due to the manufacturers.

I’ve been eyeing a bridge for awhile and am keen to pick one up. I’ve taken my XLC on two thru hikes now and, while I adore it, I’m looking to play with something new.

I love Warbonnet but I’d like to try Dutch as al my hammocking experience has been WB.
    However, I’m also 6’3 with fairly broad shoulders. I must admit I enjoy the shelf on my XLC so the fact that the ridge runner comes with them is a plus.

That said, this will be for fun, short trips, not country spanning death marches, so weight and certain luxuries are less important to me than pure comfort. I side and back sleep.

Does anyone have experience with both? Or perhaps roughly my size and have experience with either?

You all rock!

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    https://thisgearsforyou.com/

Bill's bridges are more comfortable for me and even the medium bridge is wider then the RR. Let alone the big guy bridge. No experience with the dutch.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Have to agree with Chapinb for someone your size. I have a Ridgerunner and love it as a side sleeper, but I'm 5' 7" and 130 lbs, broad shoulders for a woman (did a lot of swimming as a kid). There are times even I feel a bit constricted in the RR; I can't imagine it being comfortable for anyone over 6' tall and male with your build. You could always pick a Ridgerunner up on sale, give 'er a go, and resell if it doesn't work for you.

The number of Banyan owners can probably be counted on your fingers and toes at this point. Supposedly 13-15 shipped before the COVID19 shutdown and maybe a handful since.
    Last edited by Canadark; 05-22-2020 at 20:44.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    https://thisgearsforyou.com/

Bill's bridges are more comfortable for me and even the medium bridge is wider then the RR. Let alone the big guy bridge. No experience with the dutch.
    A built in bug net would be a great addition to these hanmocks. Thats what I've been waiting for.

Get the Ridgerunner (it’s currently on sale).

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gillam View Post
    A built in bug net would be a great addition to these hanmocks. Thats what I've been waiting for.
    I did a week in Wisconsin during peak bug season for my son's scout camp with my Big Guy bridge and net with no issues.

It's by far my favorite hammock.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Hey folks, I’ve read quite a few posts about both hammocks, but was hoping for some more specific info.

These two are probably the most known bridges out there due to the manufacturers.

I’ve been eyeing a bridge for awhile and am keen to pick one up. I’ve taken my XLC on two thru hikes now and, while I adore it, I’m looking to play with something new.

I love Warbonnet but I’d like to try Dutch as al my hammocking experience has been WB.
    However, I’m also 6’3 with fairly broad shoulders. I must admit I enjoy the shelf on my XLC so the fact that the ridge runner comes with them is a plus.

That said, this will be for fun, short trips, not country spanning death marches, so weight and certain luxuries are less important to me than pure comfort. I side and back sleep.

Does anyone have experience with both? Or perhaps roughly my size and have experience with either?

You all rock!
    I am 6'2.5" tall and around 255.

I like my RR and haven't experienced shoulder squeeze though, I feel better sqeeze oddly enough.

I spent about 30 nights in the hammock last year and would guess, that you might be okay but, who knows.

The side pockets are amazing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get one of each and let us know which one you like the best. I love my RR and have 2 of them so unless this Banyan is a game changer I'll stick to my RR's.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner, Hennessy
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin, ridgr
    Suspension
    Whooppees
    Inam 6-1' 225 lbs. no shoulder squeeze at all on the RR. I love the fact that I can see out of it while lying down - not something you csn do with most bridges. If you like to draw your knees up far, like toward your chest, the RR becomes a bit tight. The shelves are great.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have used the rr for about 5 years, and have recently upgraded to the Bgbh ----at 240 lbs , 6'4" with broad shoulders, here's my opinion: I slept pretty good in the RR, on my back, but was never able to sleep on my side (its pretty narrow). The Bgbh is luxuriously big, and more comfortable in any position!

So, RR pros, easy to set up, really easy to insulate, storage space is excellent (saddle bags) its pretty affordably priced, and is usually in stock. Cons, at my size side sleeping doesn't work well, the spacing between trees is pretty big (barely fits under a `12 foot tarp, ) I never really had a problem with shoulder squeeze.

Big guy bridge hammock pros- higher weight rating, much bigger sleeping space, shorter distance between trees, all in all I find it a much more comfortable hammock to sleep in. Cons-more expensive, a lot harder to insulate(not impossible, but I got really spoiled with the ridge runner and its "plug and play" sleep system!) less storage space, heavier, and not always in stock.

I dont consider the weight to be an issue--by using a really light pack (zpacks arc blast) and a Cuban tarp, and by creatively rigging up my trekking poles as the head end spreader bar and using a carbon foot end bar, to save weight in other areas, the Bgbh is very usable on a backpacking trip. Also, Im not a huge fan of the bug net that comes with the BGBH---its functional, but I will make something different in the future.

Another thing, Warbonnet is a bigger business,they will answer your questions, but with Bill townsend its more of a personal experience --Bill makes the Bgbh in the basement of his home, and his customer service is top notch--hes a great guy to deal with and will spend how ever much time you need with you to answer all your questions! (and you've got to check out his book "lying on the trail"---its a backpacking classic!

So both hammocks have pros and cons, --at the moment I am totally in love the the BGBH--its an extremely well made, well designed complex hammock---I haven't got all the bugs worked out of my system yet, but I've been really happy with it! (nothing wrong with the RR---Im just at the extreme edge of being able to fit in it. From what Ive read, the banyon bridge is even shorter, so that's not an option--very clever design --,might consider it if they come out with an xl version!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast