DHSparrow,DWWide
    Tarp
    DWBH12,JRB12,UGQ12
    Insulation
    CR0,JRBMW4,B40SL40
    Suspension
    DWBB,SuprSusp
    Images
    I'm fairly new at this, and I experienced the same issue. From what I've seen, the hang calculators out there are reasonably accurate for a starting point, but there is no way they can factor in the stretch of your specific hammock material or suspension. At 270 lbs, my HG single layer 1.6 stretches a lot. I just upgraded to a heavy double layer WB Blackbird, at this weight the few extra ounces justify the switch for structural stability.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack777 View Post
    Thanks @cmoulder. Is the CL where the whole suspension system joins the hammock body end, or where the tree straps cynch into the fixed cords on the ends of the hammock? Also does this body position reference work for whatever distance the trees are apart?
    It's where the hammock CL attaches to strap, whoopie, etc connection at the hammock, not the tree.

Yes, it works for just about any distance but you have to keep in mind that for closely spaced trees the suspension at the tree end will be attached much lower on the tree, and higher (and higher) up as the distance between trees increases.

If you hang frequently enough in different places — as occurs when you do backpacking trips — you develop an "eye" and a "feel" for what will work and what won't. And you come to realize that things don't have to be perfectly centered (hammock and tarp between trees) and how to make some quick tweaks if things are off just a bit. And you learn that foot end higher by about 8" or so is better. Best thing is to get out in the local woods, if possible, and play with stuff.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-23-2020 at 12:02.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack777 View Post
    adjustable ridgeline which came with the hammock. I set it to the length the hang calculator quoted which works out at 87% of hammock length.
    How did the hammock feel at that length?
    I haven't used the calculator previously, but I've just put my numbers in and the RL length shown, works out at 86.8% which I know wasn't the comfiest. Having tried between 80 and 90% I had settled on a RL that works out at 84%

I think I'll stick to going by comfort for the RL and eyeballing the suspension.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've never tried a hammock calculator. Just always used trial and error.
    Have fun finding your sweet spot.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    When I first got into hammocking, I built a DIY stand based on a hang calculator. It got referred to here a lot, so that's what I went with. Instead of several feet of suspension, I ended up with several inches (to avoid a ridiculously low seat height). Learned an expensive lesson. But, it could be user error on my part, dunno. Good luck!
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    As others have stated, the calculator doesn’t take into account materials being used. It assumes materials are fixed, where fabric and lines can produce wildly different results. You can’t rely on these for a proper hang.

What you can rely on, is a tool for angle calculation, and a fixed or adjustable ridgeline to get a proper hang to match your desired seat height. Literally no two hangs will be the same, too many variables.

A smarter calculator might take into account materials being used, which produce a ‘flex range’ that adds to the calculations, but man, what a crazy range that’d be.

I’m game to try and build a calculator based off Dereks originally calculator if we could figure out the additional inputs (hammock fabric, suspension system/materials) or ability to put in fixed hardware measurements. Anyway, might be fun.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stebesplace View Post
    As others have stated, the calculator doesn’t take into account materials being used. It assumes materials are fixed, where fabric and lines can produce wildly different results. You can’t rely on these for a proper hang.

What you can rely on, is a tool for angle calculation, and a fixed or adjustable ridgeline to get a proper hang to match your desired seat height. Literally no two hangs will be the same, too many variables.

A smarter calculator might take into account materials being used, which produce a ‘flex range’ that adds to the calculations, but man, what a crazy range that’d be.

I’m game to try and build a calculator based off Dereks originally calculator if we could figure out the additional inputs (hammock fabric, suspension system/materials) or ability to put in fixed hardware measurements. Anyway, might be fun.
    In this matter, empiricism crushes science every time.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'm a bit confused about the photographs. The calculator says the sit height at 30 degrees should be 20 inches. To my eyes, that looks about right. The second one has a higher clearance but looks more like 20 degrees.

I have noticed that once I set up my hammock, as soon as I sit in it the height goes noticeably down so if I don't remember to take this into account, I have to either change my angle or raise my anchor points.

I too have found the calculator to be less than useful. No big deal when hanging outside on trees, but a bigger deal when screwing mounts to walls in the house. It told me to mount them at something like 66", but like you, the sag puts me practically on the floor. I wanted a 20" sit height.

One of my brazilian hammocks came with instructions that seem more practical. It said to hang your hammock at a height half the distance you are spanning. Just a rule of thumb, but pretty good.

My solution for indoors is to have a mount at the low end of the scale, say 66". Then mount a track, like the one Dutch sells, above that. That gives me slightly over a foot of vertical play, above the minimum offered by the calculator. If I had two trees the same distance as my walls, I would have simply gone and tried it out till I found what I wanted, but all my trees are further apart than my walls.

Eta: Brazilian hammocks are of course designed to hang with more sag than a modern camping hammock, so you can lay more perpendicular to the ends and get flatter. I have found that depending on the camping hammock, this works well with them too, so again, just a rule of thumb. All my modern hammocks sag too much when going off the calculator, so they hang higher now as well.
    Last edited by SLG45; 05-30-2020 at 07:00.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12