Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images

Eldorado feedback for ex-Chameleon user

I have a Ridgerunner and mostly love it. I am a dedicated side sleeper and find the RR comfortable for that. Never could get really comfortable for sleeping in the Chameleon, between calf ridge, net in my face, yadda yadda.

The other plus on the RR side is the storage capacity of the saddlebags -- for puffy, down socks, headlamp, thermometer etc. The RR downsides to me are 1) the lack of a structural ridgeline for hanging things like a Luci light and 2) the enormous floppy Spindrift winter sock (I vastly preferred the sleek and effective vented topcover of my Chameleon).

So I'm considering trying the whole gathered end hammock thing again with an Eldorado. I am 5' 7" and 135 lbs. More backyard, car and canoe camping than backpacking. The Eldorado offers the option of the winter topcover which I like for my needs here in Canada near the Rocky Mountains.

Anybody have any experience with both hammocks to compare and contrast, or other advice? I was really looking seriously at the DH Sparrow as well, until I read a review that said it is very similar to the Chameleon. I love the Chameleon for lounging around and reading a book on a lazy afternoon, just not for sleeping overnight.
    Last edited by Canadark; 05-22-2020 at 12:15.

Do it. The Eldorado on sale.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
    I have a Ridgerunner and mostly love it. I am a dedicated side sleeper and find the RR comfortable for that. Never could get really comfortable for sleeping in the Chameleon, between calf ridge, net in my face, yadda yadda.

The other plus on the RR side is the storage capacity of the saddlebags -- for puffy, down socks, headlamp, thermometer etc. The RR downsides to me are 1) the lack of a structural ridgeline for hanging things like a Luci light and b) the enormous floppy Spindrift winter sock (I vastly preferred the sleek and effective vented topcover of my Chameleon).

So I'm considering trying the whole gathered end hammock thing again with an Eldorado. I am 5' 7" and 135 lbs. More backyard, car and canoe camping than backpacking. The Eldorado offers the option of the winter topcover which I like for my needs here in Canada near the Rocky Mountains.

Anybody have any experience with both hammocks to compare and contrast, or other advice? I was really looking seriously at the DH Sparrow as well, until I read a review that said it is very similar to the Chameleon. I love the Chameleon for lounging around and reading a book on a lazy afternoon, just not for sleeping overnight.
    If you do go with another gathered end, follow the setup recommendations for the hammock or you’ll wind up in the same spot as you did with the chameleon, which is the most comfortable GE I’ve been in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Another thing to add - if your Chameleon happened to be Hexon 1.6, the Warbonnet Dreamtex fabric is very similar. So if you liked/disliked one, you'd probably feel the same way about the other.

If you use the bugnet tie outs on the Eldorado, you won't have a problem with netting on your face. The tie outs keep the netting well above your face.

I have an XLC (just like the Eldorado but with the added storage shelf), and I think it's more comfortable for me than a Chameleon.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhunter View Post
    Do it. The Eldorado on sale.
    Yep, that's what prompted me to seek feedback...thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Yes, my Chameleon is the Hexon 1.6 which I like just fine. I like the Dream-Tex of the Ridgerunner even better.

Thanks for the tip about using the bugnet tieouts...the videos I've watch certainly make it look like they work well.

Liking or disliking a particular gathered end hammock seems to be highly personal and subjective. I live in the middle of nowhere plus all the group hangs are cancelled, so it's hard to try before you buy these days. I appreciate everyone chiming in!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I started off with a DW Half Zipped in Hexon 1.6, which I like and find very comfortable except for the non changeable lay direction (right lay, but I thought I preferred left lay). Many of the Chameleon accessories can be used with the Half Zipped, except for the top cover, since the bug net isn't removable. This is still my goto hammock.

So, when WB had their Memorial Day sale last year, I picked up an Eldorado in the 70D nylon so I could at least flip the bugnet and try the opposite lay. First night, I had trouble with finding the proper setup and experienced really bad calf ridge. Went back to the drawing board, asked some questions here and figured out that you have to be higher up on the head in WB hammocks and to raise the foot end a bit higher than I did with my DW. Next trip was much more comfortable, but I've since found that as active sleeper, I should probably just get a symmetrical hammock and have an easier time thrashing about in my sleep.

I do like how the tie outs are on the bugnet instead of the hammock body, so the net is way off my face. I also like the footbox in the WB.

The only cons are the hammock is bulky when packed (compared to my DW, not sure if the 40d Dreamtex packs down more) and there are no pack hooks on the outside or other connectors on the inside. Pack hooks are nice on the shoulders if you're using non-WB underquilts. My HG Phoenix slides around and occasionally pops off my outside shoulder, so I'm gonna sew on some grosgrain loops with pack hooks. Inside the hammock, I'll add some D-rings or elastic loops so I can attach a peak shelf.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post

So, when WB had their Memorial Day sale last year, I picked up an Eldorado in the 70D nylon so I could at least flip the bugnet and try the opposite lay. First night, I had trouble with finding the proper setup and experienced really bad calf ridge. Went back to the drawing board, asked some questions here and figured out that you have to be higher up on the head in WB hammocks and to raise the foot end a bit higher than I did with my DW. Next trip was much more comfortable...

...and there are no pack hooks on the outside or other connectors on the inside. Pack hooks are nice on the shoulders if you're using non-WB underquilts. My HG Phoenix slides around and occasionally pops off my outside shoulder, so I'm gonna sew on some grosgrain loops with pack hooks. Inside the hammock, I'll add some D-rings or elastic loops so I can attach a peak shelf.
    It's entirely possible my issue with the Chameleon can be chalked up to "probable user error". As you and Saltfly suggested, I'm going to be really careful in following the Warbonnet recommendations on how to set the Eldorado up properly. In fact I'm going to add a Sweet Spot ridgeline level to my order for $15 and use that to help me dial things in.

My plan is to use a 20* HG Incubator that I already have and see how that goes. Geez, that thing popped off my outside shoulder in the Chameleon now and then. So maybe a Wookie is in my future, but first I'll see if I like the Eldorado for sleeping before I spring for all the add-ons.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, there's definitely a fiddle factor with hammocks which makes everyone's experience unique. What works for me might not work for you, but if you tweak it just a bit...then it's great for you and horrible for me. Materials, design, setup...all those factors make it difficult to recommend to someone. Sometimes, you just gotta try it. I've come to the realization that I might getting better sleep in a symmetrical hammock. I've noticed on both right and left lay, I'll try to roll to the opposite side and try to side sleep, but wake up trying to get into position. Maybe I should get a bridge hammock and skip the symmetrical gathered end entirely?

My hiking buddy picked up an Eldorado during that sale to replace his Walmart and Amazon cheapo hammocks. He always had bad shoulder squeeze and calf ridge issues in those, but since getting the WB he's absolutely loved it. He liked my Half Zipped, but thought it was a bit too stretchy. I like the stretchy. That's why I find it more comfortable than the Eldorado.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadark View Post

The other plus on the RR side is the storage capacity of the saddlebags -- for puffy, down socks, headlamp, thermometer etc. The RR downsides to me are 1) the lack of a structural ridgeline for hanging things like a Luci light and 2) the enormous floppy Spindrift winter sock (I vastly preferred the sleek and effective vented topcover of my Chameleon).

I have a RR, XLC, and Chameleon. Like you the most comfortable for me is the RR. I find the XLC slightly more comfortable than my Chameleon. Not sure why but I noticed that the XLC ridgeline is about an inch longer than the Chameleon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast