DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    With the tarp still hung, but the corner stakes removed, I take the ground corner on one end, fold them up to the ridge seam, then lightly roll from the bottom up capturing the guy lines (and the standing end of a split ridge line if using that) rolling loosely up towards the ridge, then slide the snake skin over half way. Then do the same at the other end and slide the skin on the rest of the way.

The half-way slide helps manage the tarp and lines if it is windy and of course, this works in reverse if setting up in the wind.

Release the RL at the end of the tarp that is the open end of the snake skin, and loosely roll the skinned tarp it towards the other end, which is still fixed at the tree. If I am using split RLs I stop about half way through rolling and loosely wrap the RL around the roll.. Then roll the rest of the way, release the other end from tree and wrap that line around the bundle and stuff the tarp into a cuben stuff sack.

It's not a annoyance by any stretch of the imagination and with the Standard Hex, the finished bundle fits in my jacket pocket. It's not nearly as big as folks make it out to be.. even without crushing it.

Standard size mesh skins from HG are a tight fit for the Palace, but go on one handed with the Standard Hex.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Nice write-up by MikekiM. I'll add that a good fit for the Palace is the wide version of the sleeve from Jared @ SLD. Choose the length that matches the tarp ridge length.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Nice write-up by MikekiM. I'll add that a good fit for the Palace is the wide version of the sleeve from Jared @ SLD. Choose the length that matches the tarp ridge length.
    Thank you for this.. Looks like SLD is out of the 0,67 noseeum.. that's the only option I would choose. Might have to piece one together myself. Been working on a few hammocks and have tons of remnants I could piece together.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Thank you for this.. Looks like SLD is out of the 0,67 noseeum.. that's the only option I would choose. Might have to piece one together myself. Been working on a few hammocks and have tons of remnants I could piece together.
    I believe you have the 11' Palace, as do I, so if you'd like let me know and I can give you the diameter or circumference of the two ends of the sleeve as well as confirm the length. AFAIK it's a straight taper along its entire length.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I believe you have the 11' Palace, as do I, so if you'd like let me know and I can give you the diameter or circumference of the two ends of the sleeve as well as confirm the length. AFAIK it's a straight taper along its entire length.
    Yes, I do. I'd appreciate that, thank you.

The HG mesh skins aren't a straight taper, but I don't why straight wouldn't work just fine.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    The HG Journey (the original version which is the only one sold by HG now) is worth a look. Since it has doors I've found no reason to consider a second tarp.

I use a full length snakeskin and take the tie out guys with a hookworm off the tarp when it's stored. The guys lines get wrapped around the stakes and stored in a bag. Only a short loop of shock coord remains with the tarp attached to the tie-outs when stored. In my mind I didn't want to roll up a wet tarp with any hardware.

The Journey survived a hit from heavy overhead snow bomb this winter with no damage -- the prussiks on the Dutchware continuous ridge line slipped a few feet from the hit and a couple snow stakes needed to be reset. If I use snow stakes I keep the lines on the original stakes and just feed the guys with hookworm through a hole in the middle of the snow stakes. The original stakes won't pass through the hole and I bury the pair of stakes under a foot or so of packed snow.

Images
    Yes, I do. I'd appreciate that, thank you.

The HG mesh skins aren't a straight taper, but I don't why straight wouldn't work just fine.
    By my measurements, the SLD one piece in wide is about 14" in circumference at the big end and about the size of a dime at the small end. Noseeum is pretty stretchy, and I felt like I had to stretch the length a little to meet 11'. Pretty close to that though. Weight is 20g (no guyline pockets).

On my HG mesh sleeve, the big end has a circumference of about 11", although the small end is a little bigger than the SLD. Length on that one is 12' without much stretching.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    By my measurements, the SLD one piece in wide is about 14" in circumference at the big end and about the size of a dime at the small end. Noseeum is pretty stretchy, and I felt like I had to stretch the length a little to meet 11'. Pretty close to that though. Weight is 20g (no guyline pockets).

On my HG mesh sleeve, the big end has a circumference of about 11", although the small end is a little bigger than the SLD. Length on that one is 12' without much stretching.
    That helps. The extra 3" in circumference would be plenty. All three of my HG sleeves are too long so maybe the SLD is worthwhile. No pockets for me either. No need. Thank you!!
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    I've never attempted to lay them flat enough to judge, but I'll take your word for it when you say the HG version is not a straight taper. I could imagine if it maintained the larger diameter for much of the length and then had a more abrupt taper to the small diameter at the end... but visually that doesn't seem to be the case looking at it in its relatively bunched state.

What is the profile, if not a straight taper?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I can lay one out.. I think it’s kind of tadpole shaped. Might be wrong..mine might be stretched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast