Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Which two tarps would you own?

If you could only own two tarps, which would you choose and why ?

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I think that there are going to be so many different responses based on what people do (thru-hike, car camp, weekend warrior, etc.) and what kind of hammock they have, but I'll throw my opinion in there since I do a little bit of everything (except that my longest hike is 45 days and not what I would consider a thru-hike). First, I'll preface with the tarps that I own and which 2 I would pick and possibly modify.

Standard 10' hex tarp
    11' Warbonnet Superfly (with panel pole kit)
    10' Warbonnet Mountainfly (with panel pole kit)
    12' SLD Winter Haven (with 3 internal pole mods)
    13' SLD Wind Haven (with 2 internal pole mods to match a RR)
    12' HG Dyneema Palace

If I was narrowing it down to 2, I would pick a 12' Superfly (with the panel pole kit) and a 12' Mountainfly. First off, I just like the extra length of a 12' tarp. I'll take the weight penalty and whatever grief it gives me with the extra distance in tree spacing. It might take me a little longer finding the right place to hang, but that is part of the adventure for me. I'll also take the weight penalty by always having doors. Use them or not (they are easy to secure out of the way) and I prefer to have them when you need them and you never know when that might be. The Superfly gives me the width that I want for winter and nasty weather and the space underneath that I like with the panel pulls while still meeting my lightweight needs. The Mountainfly is my go to on ultralight trips or in warmer months when I don't need as much coverage, but I still like the doors and the length even when trying to be minimal.

That being said, I do still use and enjoy my other tarps for certain trips. I like the lightweight qualities of the Dyneema Palace, but rarely take it much. I prefer opening up the inside of my tarps with pole mods, but never felt comfortable doing it with the Dyneema. It is also still a little bulkier and lets more light in (if I was sleeping in, going to bed early, or having an afternoon siesta). Even though some think that the drum sound of rain hitting it is annoying, I actually like the rain with it. The SLD Winter Haven is an airplane hangar of a tarp that I love when I'm not worried about the extra weight and bulk and it seems like a fortress. The same with the Wind Haven except that it is not as wide, but is longer to completely enclose my bridges. Both incredible tarps.

In the end you just have to figure your needs and get the tarps that give you the options that are most important. Hope that helps.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I only have one for now, a Thunderfly. This has been my goto since I got away from the Amazon/Walmart gear. I like the beaks for the extra end protection from wind driven rain. I still have to pay attention to site selection, but I've never gotten wet in gusty rain conditions.

For a second tarp, I've been looking at winter tarps with full doors like a Superfly or Winter Palace, for the full coverage wind protection.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I would definitely keep my HG Hex DCF as I love how small it packs and weighs. Yes, it's a bit on the skimpy side, but if there's little or no chance of significant rain in the forecast, it will be in my pack for sure. The other is a bit more difficult. I may say my HG Palace but it is very bulky even though it's very light weight. Perhaps a Thunderfly as it packs smaller but gives the same width coverage as the palace at a bit more weight.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’d say my HG DCF Standard with doors. Great lightweight option for backpacking.

The other would be a Superfly or the MountainFly. Good coverage for when I want to chill and not worry about rain.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I really like my HG Winter Palace, but I won a Dutch Wide Winter Tarp at a raffle last year that I'm looking forward to using (if Coronavirus ever goes away).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    If only 2 -

HG Dyneema Hex
    HG Dyneema Palace

I have 8 others, but just these 2 can cover pretty much any scenario for me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If only 2 -

HG Dyneema Hex
    HG Dyneema Palace

I have 8 others, but just these 2 can cover pretty much any scenario for me.
    Ditto.

I have the HG Hex in both .51 DCF and camo versions (both 11' .... yes, slightly insane) but if I could have only one I think I'd keep the camo for the stealth option and live with the 20 gram penalty.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    A really small tarp and a really big one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    HG DCF /door + Superfly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast