Wookie xl on a WB hammock

I know everyone says plug and play, no fiddling, etc, but my wookie just doesn't seem to line up that well for me. My JRB Graylock seems to actually cover over me better, and is of course adjustable for where I want it. What am I doing wrong?

ETA, I think I prefer to sleep on a greater angle than the wookie is cut for, though with different hammocks, that changes.
    Last edited by SLG45; 05-20-2020 at 09:13.

Hammock
    Blackbird / Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema 4-Door
    Insulation
    TQ + Wooki / Lynx
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    To be sure, you are using a Blackbird XLC and not the original?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin6264 View Post
    To be sure, you are using a Blackbird XLC and not the original?
    Actually an Eldorado. Same same.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure you have the proper Warbonnet hang~~~
    This is from the WB website:

Wooki Underquilt
    The Warbonnet logo on the Wooki goes at the head end of the hammock and should be visible from the outside. The head end has a static fixed loop that should fit snugly over the end whip on your hammock. (we don't crank this knot super tight so you may untie it and make it slightly larger or smaller as is convenient. The foot end of the Wooki has a black rubber band with micro carabiner to apply the correct amount of tension to the quilt, clip the tiny carabiner to the base of your hammock's suspension. There is also a loop on the side of the Wooki that lines up with the Ribbon tie on the Blackbird and Blackbird XLC model hammocks, this ribbon tie/loop is an optional extra attachment point, although the quilt will stay put pretty well without it. As with any underquilt, when getting into the hammock, make sure you are sitting down into the hammock and not just into the underquilt which cannot hold bodyweight on it's own.

Hammock Set-Up

The following describes a detailed setup method that should result in maximum comfort (vs. simply hanging between 2 trees and getting inside, which works also.)

Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16″ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.

The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.

Here is a picture that shows much of what I have just described, the person is much closer to the head end than they are to the foot end, but since the foot end is set much higher, the person is very level from hips to shoulders rather than the torso being “inclined”. The hammock is much closer to the foot tree, and also note the upward angle of the suspension straps, you want to shoot for the suspension running upward at roughly 30 deg angle for any hammock.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Always a good idea Shug, thanks. My head end knot is 42" off the ground, my foot end knot is 56" off the ground. I can almost reach back and touch the head knot, but not quite. I'm 5'6", so pretty far from the foot end. I believe I have it set up "by the book".

Separate issue, is your torso flat, or slightly inclined? If I set it up as described, and sleep as described, my torso is slightly inclined. I would have to love closer to the foot end to level my torso out, which is not how WB tells you to do it. I'm very comfortable this way, just curious since the instructions mention it.

Well, I dropped the head end a couple more inches and fiddled with the wookie a bit. Seems to be working now, though my lay angle is a little less than I normally like. Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This video shows my basic angle that works for me.
    Shug

I watched that video at least twice before buying the wookie...along with almost every other video I could find about it.:-)

Shug, or anyone else,

Can you layer a JRB graylock 3 over the wookie and not compress the wookie? I'm trying it now and just not sure if the wookie is compressed or not.

Also, everyone mentions that the wookie xl should fit other 11' hammocks, maybe with a little tweaking. Why wouldn't it just drop onto another 11'er? I only have one 11' hammock right now, so no testing here.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I often use the wooki with my DH Sparrow. It requires a little tweaking on the ends, nothing major, largely because I lengthen the ridge line on both the DH Sparrow and WBBB XLC.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I watched that video at least twice before buying the wookie...along with almost every other video I could find about it.:-)

Shug, or anyone else,

Can you layer a JRB graylock 3 over the wookie and not compress the wookie? I'm trying it now and just not sure if the wookie is compressed or not.

Also, everyone mentions that the wookie xl should fit other 11' hammocks, maybe with a little tweaking. Why wouldn't it just drop onto another 11'er? I only have one 11' hammock right now, so no testing here.
    Yes you can layer. Just loosen the suspension a bit on the outside UQ. Sure, you can't avoid a little compression but you will be warm.
    Shug

• + New Posts