Question Which Hennessy Hammock should I get?

I am new to hammock camping. I have another brand hammock but haven't been able to get comfortable in it. I believe because it doesn't have a Ridgeline.
    I have been looking at Hennessy Hammocks and think I have narrowed it down to either the Expedition Zip or the Jungle Expedition Zip.
    I live in Florida and most of the time it's warm and muggy. However in the winter months the temps can dip into the 30s. I just want to be sure I am warm and have a good sleep. Whichever I buy I plan on buying the Hex Fly and Bubble Pad. Any and all advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    On the surface, the listing on the Jungle vs the Expedition shows only a 4 oz. difference in weight between the two. ( 2lb 12oz vs 3lb ) Considering that you could use it in Fla. most of he time having warmer temperatures, and only minimal chance of cold, the Jungle would keep you covered. The double bottom of the Jungle will alleviate needing a undercover to block breezy loss of warmth, as something can conveniently always be added if needed. Insect bite threat is an issue also. While it is true that pads can be used in a single bottom, a double surely saves some weight and hassle.

Only on my first use of my Hennessy did I not have some under insulation. Thankfully it was considered a "warm" weekend in the White Mountains, but it was not comfortable.It cannot be overstated the value of some type of radiant reflective material with the Hennessy.
    Last edited by psyculman; 05-20-2020 at 01:23.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoden View Post
    I have been looking at Hennessy Hammocks and think I have narrowed it down to either the Expedition Zip or the Jungle Expedition Zip.
    I agree with psyculman that the Jungle version should be easier to use with a pad. I have a classic Expedition with bottom entry that I bought back in 2014. While I like the system, I found that the Expedition was a bit small. I know Hennessy says it's good for folks up to 6 feet tall, but I'd disagree. I'm 5' 9" and find the Expedition barely long enough. The Explorer models might be better unless you're shorter than I am.

With all hammocks, there's a learning curve to getting comfortable, so don't give up. The Hennessy system is robust and pretty tough and there's lots of them out there with plenty of ways to modify them, especially the suspension, to be easier to use.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip was my first hammock ten years ago, and honestly, it was way more comfortable than ground-pounding. However, since trying other hammocks, it was the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever slept in. I would keep searching, if I were you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoden View Post
    I am new to hammock camping. I have another brand hammock but haven't been able to get comfortable in it. I believe because it doesn't have a Ridgeline.
    Keep in mind that a Ridgeline doesn't make a hammock more comfortable. It only ensures that you hang your hammock with the same sag every time. You can experiment with different amounts of sag until you find your preference. You can do this with an adjustable Ridgeline but this can also be done by changing suspension length and height of the anchor points. Once you are comfortable you can make a Ridgeline to keep the ends of the hammock at that length no matter where you hang.

Unless Hennessey has changed since I started 11 or 12 years ago, their Ridgeline is not adjustable and you will get what you get. Because of their design, replacing it is also a pain...I know, because I had to do that on a trip when mine snapped. I would encourage you to do some experimenting with your current hammock first before investing in something that expensive.

Another big factor in comfort is hammock length. In general, depending how you lie, the taller you are, the longer the hammock needs to be. Also important is the material the hammock is made from. I personally prefer a hammock body that has only a very small amount of stretch but there are some who like a lot of stretch. Some like to lie down the middle and some like to lie more or less on the diagonal.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a Hennessy. I just want you to go into the purchase informed and able to know what you're getting. And what you're not getting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could add a ridgeline to your exisiting hammock to see if you get mote comfortable.
    That will put you a step closer to finding your sweet spot before you invest in a Hennessy.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    This hammock Is a bit longer if your taller, I also have hex tarp and it works well with my set up
    https://hennessyhammock.co.uk/produc...eluxe-asym-zip
    Last edited by hangerdave; 05-20-2020 at 13:38.

• + New Posts