Bottom-entry/UQ adjustment...P.I.T.A?

Sorry if this is a "done" issue, but I was just curious how many people find the bottom-entry HH to make any necessary UQ adjustments feel tedious once in the hammock. I'm imagining if I'm lying there and need to adjust the shoulder-side of the UQ, it would be a bit of a task in comparison to the side-entry, where I could just reach out over my shoulder. I'm going to be buying a HH Explorer Ultralite very soon for an AT section hike, just torn on whether I'd love the bottom entry or hate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Aaronbagby; 05-19-2020 at 19:33.

Hammock
    WB ELD / SLD TL / HH Del. Expl.
    Tarp
    SLD / Hen / HG
    Insulation
    HG Econ/CDT Gemini
    I have a bottom entry Explorer and made a Gemini underquilt from Costco down throws. To secure the UQ to my hammock, I used some extra ribbon, mitten hooks, and camsnaps to make attachment points on the underquilt that correspond to the Explorer's tieouts.

Using these additional attachment points, I've never had to adjust the underquilt because it doesn't shift side to side.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Yes it can be a PITA with the bottom entry but 2QZQ has your answer. https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/fullwidth/ Donna did the Mod 4 on my HH and I could not be happier. Due to physical limitations I need to use the bottom entry but with the mod 4 I can zip and adjust my UQ when I need to or get to my drink without getting out and in. The other thing is having the Jacks R Better quilt made specifically for the bottom opening. It is called The Nest or The Winter Nest. https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product/the-nest/ It makes the bottom entry and quilt work well together.

And yes, I love my HH and yes I have other hammocks but much prefer my HH.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight
    Tarp
    Backpacker Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessey
    I bought the arrowhead Potomac underquilt which is made specifically for Hennessy models. It has attachments for the side tie outs. It’s basically 10 minutes of work with a friend to help you get it right the first time, then you just leave it as is and when you rig it up next time it’ll be just right.

I suppose if you want to fiddle with it depending on the temp, yeah, you’d need to get all the way out, guess what might work, and get back in to see how good your guess was.

Thanks guys. I went ahead with the side entry zip ultralite explorer. Just came today, and really loving the initial impression. I am waiting on Amsteel to arrive for whoopie slings, and it just dawned on me that it’s a fixed ridgeline. I modded my old ENO with a whoopie as an adjustable ridgeline. Left me with a lot of tangle sometimes after packing up in a hurry. Anyone here decided to swap Hennessy’s ridgeline for something else? I’m sure the folks at Hennesy have done all the right math to optimize, so instinct says to trust their work and just do whoopies for the suspension. Thanks!

• + New Posts