Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images

External pole mod trick

I've had external poles fly off my Superfly previously in a high wind, when I just wrapped the cordage around the ends of the poles a couple of times to secure them via tension.

While setting up my new Winterdream 12 with the external poles, I wanted to make the connection of the cordage to the pole ends more secure. There were some cord locks lying around in my hammock miscellany bag so I used them. I pushed a bight of line through the cord lock, wrapped a couple of loops around the pole ends using the bight, then cinched the cord lock down, right snug up against the pole end. We'll see if this is any sort of improvement.

It does lock in the one end of the pole to the cordage, as you do that hands-held-high, skittering dance around the end of the tarp to secure the other side. You can also easily put more or less tension on the pullout by using more or less cordage behind the cord lock.

Bight through cord lock.jpg
    Wrap the ends.jpg
    Keep going.jpg
    Tighten down.jpg
    Done.jpg
    Last edited by Canadark; 05-18-2020 at 22:14.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I spliced zingit dogbones for this. I was careful to make the eyes of the dogbones a snug fit for the ends of the poles.

But I'm interested in more flexible solutions as I've now started using trekking poles, and they're thicker, and different at each end, and can be variable lengths...hence the need for flexible solutions like cord locks.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Creative solution! Hope that works for you. I use trekking poles for this application and have found that they need to be secured well. My solution is to use a dog bone but I double- back the loop to make a girth- hitch which I then snug around the pole. I keep the pole longer so the line of pull is at an angle back along the pole rather than more perpendicular, which I also think helps to keep it secure.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Thanks for your comments. Based on the mention above and a couple of YouTube videos, I've now learned what a girth hitch is...basically you end up with a lark's head but without needing a loop already tied in the line, from my noob perspective.

Discovered another use for the cord lock today...while switching out an experimental pad in the Ridgerunner back to an underquilt, I needed to make a few back-and-forth trips from the hammock to my house (all these hangs are in my backyard so far). I used the cord lock to tie back a single door on one side of the tarp for easy access.

One door tie-back.jpg

• + New Posts