Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a nudge

Need a nudge

Hi all,

I've been hanging in my home for a couple years. My longest hammock is 10.5' maybe. I'd like to make a longer, wider one myself. I'm coming up short searching for tutorials and how tos. I'm sure they're out there... Please point me towards them? At this point I'm most concerned with fabric choice and how to sew... I've never done that before, either .

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Otis View Post
    Hi all,

I've been hanging in my home for a couple years. My longest hammock is 10.5' maybe. I'd like to make a longer, wider one myself. I'm coming up short searching for tutorials and how tos. I'm sure they're out there... Please point me towards them? At this point I'm most concerned with fabric choice and how to sew... I've never done that before, either .
    Let me know if this link doesn't work, but here is my All In One excel spreadsheet on diy how-to make everything hammock related except insulation;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3...w?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can search You Tube for DIY hammocks and sewing tutorials.
    DIY hammocks....https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mping+hammocks

Sewing...https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...sewing+lessons

You been nudged~~~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    This one really helped me before doing my own recently. No BS, no showing off, no expert stuff...just a basic how to.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Decent quality thread makes learning to sew much easier.
    With Gutermann Sew All thread, my cheap machine actually works quite well. However with the previous no name thread. I spent more time cutting away knots and un jamming it. All the dust, twists and lower strength had me thinking the machine, or me was useless.

If you've not sewn at all before, watch the video above and practice that on any thin non slippery fabric (old bed sheet) to make a A4 paper sized hammock. Get used to how your machine works and which way feels best for you to stitch hems.
    Then get your nylon and an extra yard to practice on, as you may need to adjust the tension to get a good stitch and the nylon handles differently to cotton/polycotton.

I guess RSBTR would be a good supplier for known reliable fabrics to suit your needs.
    Last edited by Singlespeed; 05-19-2020 at 23:58.

Thanks all! I've got some learning to do!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Buy some wide Hexon from Dutchwaregear.com, and follow this easy tutorial:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-sew-a-hammock

It's how I make all of mine. He made it easy.

Please check my thinking... I've been reading, watching and learning. Doing my own research on the equipment I have, too. I want to be sure I buy the right things for my first DIY.

My current hammock is ACTUALLY only 9.5'. It also measures 80" wide, though besides the main hammock section (middle), it's got a 10" strip on each side that seems more decorative than structural, so I'm thinking it's performing like a 60" wide hammock (or less).

I'm trying to decide between 1.6 HyperD XL and Hexon W 1.6. That would give me a finished width of 70" or more. 11' should be long enough, yeah? Comfortable and still packable.

Some whoopie slings, an amsteel ridgeline, a couple continuous loops and toggles, and I'll be set!

Anything obvious I'm overlooking?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Otis View Post
    Please check my thinking... I've been reading, watching and learning. Doing my own research on the equipment I have, too. I want to be sure I buy the right things for my first DIY.

My current hammock is ACTUALLY only 9.5'. It also measures 80" wide, though besides the main hammock section (middle), it's got a 10" strip on each side that seems more decorative than structural, so I'm thinking it's performing like a 60" wide hammock (or less).

I'm trying to decide between 1.6 HyperD XL and Hexon W 1.6. That would give me a finished width of 70" or more. 11' should be long enough, yeah? Comfortable and still packable.

Some whoopie slings, an amsteel ridgeline, a couple continuous loops and toggles, and I'll be set!

Anything obvious I'm overlooking?
    IMHO;
    **1.6 hyper D material 2 reasons feel and cost - combined I feel this is your best choice

**I think you go for 12' as you will notice the difference - be sure and add an extra 3/4 of a foot for the channels at both ends. So total length shoot for 13' or get the full 5 yards of material - use the extra to make end caps that cover your gather and potentially opens door for a peak shelf.

**personally I think that 60 in wide is plenty wide I don't think you need anything wider.

**I would highly recommend purchasing straps that are at least one inch wide and are polyurethane As this will not stretch anywhere close to what nylon does. Yes you'll pay a penalty for weight but this stuff is bulletproof.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Another strong vote for Hyper D 1.6. Love that fabric. I have four DIY hammocks in it and am working on number five.

I've tried extra wide hammocks and find it a waste of material and extra weight. 58" - 60" is ideal for me. And, all of my DIY hamocks are either 10'6" or 11'.

I find Amsteel to be way overkill for a structural ridge line....stronger than needed and quite bulky. I use either Zingit, Lashit, or NE Rope. If you want an extra edge, go for Dynaglide. Amsteel will work for your CLs.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast