On this trip I spent 3 days backpacking in North Carolina's Birkhead Mountain Wilderness. Birkhead is a part of Uwharrie National Forest and is the only wilderness area in central NC.

My first day took me a couple miles into the wilderness, checking out camp areas and historical sights along the way. I had Camp 3 to myself and settled in for a cozy night in my Simply Light Designs hammock & tarp.

On day 2 I explored a good portion of the wilderness area, covering around 12 miles in total. I enjoyed seeing the beautiful backcountry streams, old gold mining pits and homestead remains, centuries-old graveyards, and campsites that the Boy Scouts built back in the 1970s. I randomly ran into some friends and spent the second night with them, what a nice surprise!

I finished up my final day by heading a few miles back out to the trailhead. Uwharrie is one of my favorite places to hammock (during the right time of year) and I greatly enjoyed this visit! Birkhead is actually where I took my first ever solo backpacking trip many years ago.

Shorter highlight video for anyone who wants to see the scenery without the trip details:
https://youtu.be/Z1NYa2jw7GA

Layne