Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' Noah
    Insulation
    Big Agnes air mat
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    First of all, I'm the definition of a noob to all of this. I've spent one night in a hammock while camping a state forest here in west Massachusetts several years ago. Nothing ever bumped into me, but.......
    In the night, at anchor in the lee of some island or up a river, you're sleeping with that rocking motion hammock people know. Then something big bumps the boat. Not hard like wood or a drifting boat, but full of life and from below the waterline. That's one of the ways sea creatures explore their worlds; they bump. Could be a mammal, fish, or reptile. You smile and go back to sleep.
    I'll keep yas posted on how the hammock experiment is going. I'm awaiting a Warbonnet RidgeRunner, and hoping I'll learn to hang as part of my camping life.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Thought about this thread Friday night as I was riding out a storm at Thomas Knob on Mount Rogers in VA. There are wild ponies throughout the park that wander around grazing night and day. Never had a concern about any of them (even though I saw a Schill Brothers video where one apparently charged closed to a hiking group), but about 3 am they were grazing around my tarp in the storm and pulled out one of my guy lines. Wasn't too startled, but sucked having to get up and fix the line.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Has anyone had an animal run into them whilst hanging?

Plenty of birds land on the hammock. Had close calls with deer, turkeys, raccoons and one bear, but never actually ran in to me.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    HG SilPoly w/ door
    Insulation
    Depends
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Nothing has ever hit the hammock itself but I’ve had possums and raccoons walk under me and try to figure out what my tarp guy lines were. Woke up once hearing a rustling and looked over to see a raccoon about 5 feet from where I was laying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Had some coyotes get close to me this week but they ran off when I shined my light on them. Also deer. I wonder if I could use my hammock as a blind... talk about breakfast from the hammock!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    Only ever had my fellow campers come stumbling into me after the fireside shared drinks went a bit deeper than usual.
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningRigging View Post
    First of all, I'm the definition of a noob to all of this. I've spent one night in a hammock while camping a state forest here in west Massachusetts several years ago. Nothing ever bumped into me, but.......
    In the night, at anchor in the lee of some island or up a river, you're sleeping with that rocking motion hammock people know. Then something big bumps the boat. Not hard like wood or a drifting boat, but full of life and from below the waterline. That's one of the ways sea creatures explore their worlds; they bump. Could be a mammal, fish, or reptile. You smile and go back to sleep.
    I'll keep yas posted on how the hammock experiment is going. I'm awaiting a Warbonnet RidgeRunner, and hoping I'll learn to hang as part of my camping life.
    Not to hijack the thread, but same happened to me & my future wife on Lake Champlain (home of Champ, Vermont's version of Nessie). 1/2 mile or more from shore, 100+ feet deep, nothing in sight... BUMP.

Paddled ourselves to shore PDQ!

Nothing's bumped my hammock yet, but I'm just waiting. Have had moose & deer walk by, which is the scary part - if they get tangled in lines and spooked, the result could be tragic or comical.

Hammock
    Napsack Hammocks - Trekker Plus
    Tarp
    DD Superlight - XL
    Insulation
    Synthetic Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    No but once, in my Polish Lavvu, I was just drifting off to sleep and something sniffed and nibbled the back of my head, I'm 6'6 and my head usually pressed against whatever shelter I'm in lol. I could also hear a low almost complaining animal sound so I'm convinced it was badgers, badgers sound like they are constantly complaining to me.
    If I don't see ya through week, I'll see ya through window.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    During an afternoon backyard hang a squirrel was messing around in a close by tree and didn't seem to know I was there. I got his attention with a slight noise using my mouth and he spun around and just stared right at me for several heart beats. He was only about 6-8 feet away and I thought "I'm about to get a curious, then terrified, squirrel jump into my nice hammock" so I waved my hand a bit to spook him away lol.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A deer ran into my tarp guyline but fortunately it just pulled the stake up. I wasn't in the hammock at the time, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast