Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Tarp
    Asym w/ wings
    Suspension
    Biner+Cow Hitch

Has anyone had an animal run into them whilst hanging?

A little while back whilst falling asleep, I heard what sounded like a kangaroo almost running into me. There was an abrupt skidding noise right next to the hammock then I could hear it thudding away.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do animals naturally run between the gaps in trees that would be perfect for hammocks too?
    As napoleon dynamite would say, kangaroos have "large talons", so I'm thinking of adding some bright colour to my underquilt

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Almost did in my own backyard. While taking a nap I heard a commotion near me, when I raised up to look here come a doe directly at me. I swear it looked like I could have touched her when she turned at the last second. Turns out a neighbor spooked her behind his place. After me heart slowed down I packed up my stuff and moved into the open portion of my yard. Funny now but not at the time. I still picture me and that deer all tangled up in my hammock and bug net.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    No. But I'd think that if an animal can see well enough to avoid natural obstacles (trees, rocks, etc.) then they can see well enough to avoid your hammock.

And if they DO run into your hammock, then you probably don't need to take it personally and can safely assume they spend their nights running into all sorts of things! ;-)

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    bumps on the bum at night from underneath the hammock can be alarming.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Yes, and in my back yard (which I call Wild Kingdom) as well. Several years ago, I set up my hammock on the hillside, and at some point in the night I heard hooves approaching, and the deer actually bumped into the hammock. I wasn't worried, since I knew deer liked to hang out in that area. I just asked it to leave, politely of course, and got a startled snort as it moved off.

This. reminds me of one of my favorite posts we've had here on these forums.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/79054-There-s-a-buffalo-in-my-hammock?highlight=bison
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I had to check where you were posting from, thinking "KANGAROO?!? What's this guy drinking?"

So far, just inquisitive squirrels and what we think was probably a raccoon who thought better of coming into camp. Our main concern is the massive pack of coyotes who don't come too close to camp yet, but eventually will send sentries to scout us out while we are there (BIG mistake). I've already seen the signs of them coming in after we leave and I have some long distance plans for my next trip.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    bumps on the bum at night from underneath the hammock can be alarming.
    Alarming... I'd have to switch underwear.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is why I was hesitant to pick a bright red hammock. I saw a picture once of a buck completely tangled. When it finally got out it ran off with the hammock in its antlers. Around here, my concern is the red might attract a curious bear, or enrage a bull moose. I'll probably take a more subdued color for backpacking.

I've personally experienced the following: squirrel ran across the tarp lines. I think he/she was amused as they ran across and then ran right back. I had a racoon come up under the hammock and brush against the bottom. The most alarming was a deer that stuck his head beside the tree and tarp opening and snorted. I think he was curious as well.
    A buddy of mine had the best experience: he was asleep and felt the hammock jerk to the side. It woke him up. All of a sudden, it jerked to the other side. He leaned over the edge of the hammock and looked and found a young bear cub. The bottom of the hammock was the perfect height to scratch it's back. My buddy was amused but made a noise to scare off the young cub. He didn't want mama to get too close!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast