Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I usually put this to bed by telling people the issue isn’t which is the lighter setup, it’s which is more comfortable; or, more appealing to tired hikers, which will give you a better night’s sleep.

The point is, with either a tent or hammock setup, you can always go lighter if you want to spend the money. On a trek to Middle sister, one person just carried a plastic ground sheet, sleeping bag, and tarp. And no matter how light the gear, you always have food/water considerations.

Until we get the the very edge of reliability (and cost), I’m guessing for any hammock setup, one can devise a lighter non-hammock solution. And for that non-hammock solution, a hammock setup could be configured to beat it - back and forth, back and forth

Loin cloth, cut down painter’s plastic sheet, pebbles to make a knob, lasso’d with Dyneema, attached to trees, is pretty light - but I wouldn’t want to hike/camp/adventure that way.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Yeah, if I add a bug bivy to my mine, it brings it up another 6.6 ounces. And truthfully, if I was carrying the 26 ounce setup, I would usually add the ground cloth, pillow and bivy. I was just trying to illustrate the point that something to sleep on, and something to cover up with, and something to keep possible weather off you, can pretty much always be lighter for a ground dweller. But much less comfortable, so a moot point for me today.
    Yep the hammy has spoiled me... did a trip with friends to Baxter SP in Maine and was required to use a shelter one night (Pogy Pond) so I had my air mat and pillow. A harsh reminder that hammocks are better!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I have been a hardcore hammocker for about 15 years now but I discovered early on that the main problem with hammocks is that they require you to be around trees (or something similar). That can be a problem and negates the argument of which is lighter.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I carry trekking poles no matter what, whether I am taking a tent or hammock. And I use them for both. For my hammock I use them to put my tarp in porch mode or with the lack of trees I hang my hammock from them.

As for weight I don’t count them as part of my pack weight. But then again I don’t weigh my pack, it weighs what it weighs. I don’t care about weight, I care about comfort, so I pack accordingly. As I get older I know its going to destroy my body, well whats left that the military didn’t destroy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12