Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Tent vs Hamock weights. Let's put this issue to bed hammockers.

I was thinking the other day.

A lot of DCF tents require a trekking pole.

Should we be including the trekking pole in the weight of the tent setups?

I think we should, because I don't use them but would have to if I went down the Zpacks way of things.

The black diamond carbon pole is 280g. If you include that as part of the shelter weight, then surely a a hammock setup is lighter - or am I wrong.

Please chime in with figures people. This could get interesting.

I think it really boils down to space, at least for me. Hammocks only takes up a ton of space for me during winter when I have my underquilt and top quilt with it. Even then I dont mind, but I'm a full time hammock sleeper.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Most hikers that are using DCF tents are probably using trekking poles already. Many manufacturers will sell carbon fiber poles in the event a person doesn't use the poles. In that instance, I suppose you'd count the poles. Tents that use trekking poles were probably designed with the idea that people are carrying these anyways, lets just use the trekking poles instead. I can't imagine someone carrying trekking poles just to put up a tent. There are better freestanding options available than to do that.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Doesn't really make sense to me to include it just because I already use trekking poles. Planning on using them for the panel pulls of my new Superfly next time I get to go out (was setting up in the rain today just to play with it!) but when I list out my gear weights I still keep the poles separate.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No, I don't count trekking poles as part of shelter weight, tent or hammock.

I use them for porch mode and side panel pull-out with my hammock tarps, and they're not counted as shelter weight there, either.

In either case, if I didn't use trekking poles I could still use found sticks.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-18-2020 at 11:53.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I'm not sure what your angle with this thread is, but I don't see it as tent vs. Hammock weight. I see it as ground sleeping vs. Hammock sleeping weight. Only in the academic sense though, since the hammock gives me so much better sleep. So, academically speaking, if you compare same conditions with same sleeper, you can almost always go lighter sleeping on the ground. In winter it is not even close (if you are an ounce counter), and really only in hot enough weather that you don't need a UQ, can the weights be competitive for hammocking.

But really, who cares? I want to sleep better, so the weight is acceptable to me. I used to carry an UL cot from thermarest. Only UL by cot standards, lol. It was better than being on the ground, but not awesome, and pretty heavy.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I'm not sure what your angle with this thread is, but I don't see it as tent vs. Hammock weight. I see it as ground sleeping vs. Hammock sleeping weight. Only in the academic sense though, since the hammock gives me so much better sleep. So, academically speaking, if you compare same conditions with same sleeper, you can almost always go lighter sleeping on the ground. In winter it is not even close (if you are an ounce counter), and really only in hot enough weather that you don't need a UQ, can the weights be competitive for hammocking.

But really, who cares? I want to sleep better, so the weight is acceptable to me. I used to carry an UL cot from thermarest. Only UL by cot standards, lol. It was better than being on the ground, but not awesome, and pretty heavy.
    I concur. My lightest summer setup is 2.56lb for hammock, tarp, TQ+UQ (incl suspension, tarp lines and stakes) which is going to be hard to beat even with a decent UL ground setup.

But my preference now is hanging and I've got a very light setup, and I always use trekking poles (8oz for the pair), so beyond that it doesn't matter... it weighs what it weighs.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I concur. My lightest summer setup is 2.56lb for hammock, tarp, TQ+UQ (incl suspension, tarp lines and stakes) which is going to be hard to beat even with a decent UL ground setup.

But my preference now is hanging and I've got a very light setup, and I always use trekking poles (8oz for the pair), so beyond that it doesn't matter... it weighs what it weighs.
    FWIW, my lightest summer ground setup, meaning hot weather, is a ground pad, top quilt and tarp. Weighs right about 30 ounces, with ridgeline and stakes.

Eta: as soon as I hit send, I 2nd guessed myself and thought I remembered the weight wrong. I did. It was 26 ounces, not 30. The 30 ounce figure was with a pillow and ground cloth added in.
    Last edited by SLG45; 05-18-2020 at 12:16.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    FWIW, my lightest summer ground setup, meaning hot weather, is a ground pad, top quilt and tarp. Weighs right about 30 ounces, with ridgeline and stakes.
    Mine is a skosh more because when there are lots of bugs I also use a Cuben/Argon bivy (6.46oz/183g) that a friend made for me. So the difference for me is truly minimal... 2oz or so.

hexamid_solo_plus_bivy_small.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Mine is a skosh more because when there are lots of bugs I also use a Cuben/Argon bivy (6.46oz/183g) that a friend made for me. So the difference for me is truly minimal... 2oz or so.

hexamid_solo_plus_bivy_small.jpg
    Yeah, if I add a bug bivy to my mine, it brings it up another 6.6 ounces. And truthfully, if I was carrying the 26 ounce setup, I would usually add the ground cloth, pillow and bivy. I was just trying to illustrate the point that something to sleep on, and something to cover up with, and something to keep possible weather off you, can pretty much always be lighter for a ground dweller. But much less comfortable, so a moot point for me today.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast