Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Better sleep in a hammock? Whoop agrees.

I know many of you say you sleep better in a hammock than in your bed. I have been sleeping in my hammock, a WBBB, for most nights now for the past month or so. Some inside, some outside. Some nights I don't get my hang or my insulation quite right, and some nights the weather keeps me up, but most nights I sleep pretty well.

I wear a whoop all the time to track various performance issues for work and play, and one of the things it does is track and measure sleep.

I won't bore you with the numbers, and if you are not a "whooper", they won't mean much anyway, but suffice it to say, my sleep and recovery numbers are consistently way higher when I sleep in a hammock. Seems like the beginning of a good study, were one so inclined.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not Whooper, but I agree. WAY better sleep in a hammock, and the more often I sleep there, the better it is. I also agree that it would be an interesting study.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    The Mattress Industrial Complex would never let such a study see the light of day. $30 of fabric replace several hundred pounds of petrochemical foam selling for over a grand? It will ruin your back and your sex life for sure.

I’ve been full time since 2013. Last week I tried dozing on the bed after 4am. I might even have fallen asleep, but mostly lay awake marveling at how STATIC and DEAD it felt, with none of the dynamic give and take of a hammock’s tension redistributing itself with your every move, even breath. After all, mattress makers make a point of how little co-sleepers feel the movements of the other. It’s designed to feel as lively as mud. I felt like a fish on the deck of a boat. Climbed back into hammock like back into water, back to the womb, enveloping, like an extension of my own fascia, and slept in ‘til 9.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 05-18-2020 at 13:43.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

I switched to sleeping full time in a hammock(an indoor hung Brazilian) just over 2 months ago and I don't need a tracker to tell me I'm sleeping way better now. The first week it took me a bit to get my underquilt situation right(I live in Canada and we tend to let the house drop to 55 - 60 F at night) but once I did it was smooth sailing. The only reason I wake up at night at all is to use the bathroom.

When I slept on a bed I would wake up and roll over multiple times a night, I would sometimes have a sore shoulder or hip from pressure points(even on a memory foam mattress) and I could never get comfortable on my back.

Now I get into my hammock, position a pillow under my knees, get at the right angle so my head and feet are supported, cover up with a light blanket and *boom* I'm asleep until my bladder informs me that I have to get up for a minute. I fall back to sleep very quickly - my son tells me that one time he went from saying good night to me and me snoring in about 5 minutes.

So far all my friends think I'm weird and I may never get into hammock camping(although I have pondered on it) but I love my hammock so much!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have apnea, and sleep with a CPAP. I'd like to see sleep studies that examine the relationship of apnea/CPAP/ hammocks/ beds.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    latherdome, I agree with one of the two “ruined” things you mentioned. For the other, a bed does provide a plethora of solutions. Though a hammock also inspires inventiveness, the one foot on the ground rule limits - but does not eliminate - possibilities.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    I finally fixed my hammock i had to move rooms. But i am hanging off the window and door seals without issues and it is absolutly gorious each and every night i marvel at how comfortable i can get gently rocking all night long it took me a while to get it right but o my it was worth it

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have occasional apnea. I don’t use a cpap. My symptoms are much less less while sleeping in a hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I love the idea of sleeping full time in my hammock... sadly it doesn’t really agree with being married.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Falarny View Post
    I love the idea of sleeping full time in my hammock... sadly it doesn’t really agree with being married.
    Many millions of married full-time hammockers, plenty of children, in the American tropics, especially NE Brazil, since before Columbus.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast