Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Makes sense Silver... They are saying you lie diagonally across the insulation rather diagonally with the insulation. This puts their mid-section on the insulation and shoulders, head and feet on the non-insulated fabric. Just think of an X made by your body and the Trail Winders insulation panel.
    What I can't figure out is why you would order an asym underquilt if you have a symmetrical hammock. They also sell a symmetrical Trailwinder.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    What I can't figure out is why you would order an asym underquilt if you have a symmetrical hammock. They also sell a symmetrical Trailwinder.
    Underquilts like the Trail Winder or Wookie are essentially non-weight bearing, symmetrical hammocks, with insulation sewn on to match where you body will be. Because most users lay diagonally, that insulation will be asymmetric.

BBFC4BBE-5AF0-468A-A33C-DF99022E575F_0cfa4a63-3bc3-4896-a3ea-9128815c2e4c_1024x1024.jpeg

Making the insulation on them symmetrical is only necessary if you're going to swap between head-left and head-right. Otherwise it's just extra weight and extra space for no purpose.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    I always use one even in Georgia. A small breeze can make for a cold night without one, even with a low temp of 75. In summer, I always have my 40 degree hg 3/4 underquilt. It weighs next to nothing and takes up almost no room.l

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    I use a Thermorest between the layers of my WBBB (circa 2008). I've found that for summer months I don't need to bring it, but if the temps are projected to dip below 65 or so, I bring it and use it. Typically if I don't use it below that temp level, I wake up and am uncomfortable.

Having said that last night I hung out in the back yard and the temps here got down to 44. I slept through until the early hours when I had to get up to pee (curse you turning 50) and after that it was an issue trying to get back to sleep, basically for the typical cold spots (left shoulder etc). I think that I am going to break down and get an underquilt to see if that makes as much of a difference as everyone says. The idea that you can vent if too warm is appealing to me, and would solve all the issues...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Big E, If you are going to keep your WBBB for a while you might consider the Wookie UQ made especially for it. I’m guessing you specify the head/foot orientation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Big E, If you are going to keep your WBBB for a while you might consider the Wookie UQ made especially for it. I’m guessing you specify the head/foot orientation.
    I had the same thought. I actually just bought an XLC with a new tarp from Brandon (hasnt shipped yet) and will hand over the old reliable BB to my wife as she is now getting interested in hammock camping. We've been waiting on our 13 year old son with Down Syndrome to mature a bit to start camping and he is ready as well so we are heading out - all in hammocks. Son will use my older son's old Hennesey Scout. I am looking forward to getting all three of us out there to enjoy some hang time together!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7D
    Tarp
    OWL OMW
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When I was in Florida I used one year round. I found myself getting CBS even on the warmest nights. I'm a hot sleeper so I often sweat and when I do the moisture become cool.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was just out for 4 nights and going to bed at 82° was just nasty. Obviously no UQ, but around 2am I would wake up and sort of need it so I put it on. Probably 70° at that time. Only takes 30 seconds. Putting it off to the side isn't an option; that just creates a blast furnace on one side where it's touching you.

Hammock
    Darian
    Tarp
    Currently hunting
    Insulation
    Enigma/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Always use an UQ, but I’m still figuring this whole thing out and like to spend time at altitudes over 10K so it gets chilly lol

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I can typically get down to 30-40 degrees without an UQ, unless its really windy. My uq sets start at 30 degrees and I will usually use the 30 even if it forecasted to be above 40. More of a just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast