Tarp
    DWBH12,JRB12,UGQ12
    Insulation
    CR0,JRBMW4,B40SL40
    Suspension
    DWBB,SuprSusp
    Images

No underquilt at what temperature

At what temperature range does everyone feel comfortable without using an underquilt? For the 50-60 degree range, what type of insulation (if any) are you using? I'm looking at the Simply Light Trail Winder Asym, and can't decide between 40 deg and 50 deg. I have a symmetrical HG hammock; I'm thinking that if I get too warm with the Asym UQ, I could switch to the non-insulated side. Anyone have experience with either of these weights with this product. That's alot of questions for one post, thanks.
    Last edited by navbutler; 05-18-2020 at 12:43. Reason: typo in title

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    That is a fairly personal question - everyone is different. I "need" an underquilt when the temperature drops below 70F. I use a 20 degree UQ all year round, and vent it as needed.

Sent from HAL 9000 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I personally have never slept in a hammock without an underquilt. Then again I've never vented an UQ either. I suppose everyone will be a little different, but for me personally I've found that by using lighter or even no top quilt, I can mitigate warmer temps, and I regulate that way. I've been out in mid July (nighttime temps in the high 70s to low 80s) using a zero degree under quilt and no top quilt (slept in t-shirt and shorts) and been perfectly comfortable.

My personal experience has been that even for naps or just hanging around in warm weather, no insulation underneath leads to a chilly backside. Note I used the word "personally" a lot. As always, YMMV.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    About 75°F for me with no quilt.

Between that and 40°F I use an EE Revolt rated at 40°F, and I've used it down to about 35°F and was comfortable.

I haven't used the SLD Trail Winder or any other asym UQ so no comment there. But I've seen nothing but raves for the Trail Winder.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well for me (I am female) my experience has been a UQ is a good thing unless you live in a tropical environment that does not cool after sunset.

A breeze under your hammock and over the ground acts like a Swamp Cooler, kicks the heat out, nature's air conditioning.

When we first purchased hammocks it was August high summer, I knew to put something under me I used a sheepskin. My daughter just hung her hammock. Daughter was chilly about an hour later. I was perfect my sheepskin kept my back insulated and not overheated. That was way back maybe 2003 or 04?

Today I have 0*F quilts. If it is warm I hang the quilt sloppy, lots of gaps. Air circulates if I chill it is easy to square away the UQ.

When it is hot I sleep without a TQ and minimal sleep wear.

We often hang where weather might shift suddenly, I do not want to get stuck without enough warmth.

A few times in the beginning of hammocking when I made a poor choic in choosing a hang spot I had a few misserable nights. UQ were just being discussed, I was using my trusty Poncho Liner from the Viet Nam era. I had myself all zipped into my Hennessy, the netting was attached to the hammock. Hot sticky and no breeze. My back side was comfortable with just the poncho liner, my upper body was too sticky and just yucky, because the bug net prevented air circulation.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

No underquilt a what temperature

I've never slept comfortably overnight without an UQ. I have had a few very uncomfortable nights without one. In eastern PA, it doesn't usually get warm enough overnight to skip it.

I have a 40 degree Trailwinder that I bring when temps are expected to be about 50+. If it'll be cooler than that, I bring a 20 degree HG Incubator. The TW has been a fantastic quilt, and it's right around a pound (which is about 1/2 the weight of my DIY UQ (a modded synthetic blanket).

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    85 degree for me.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There is more to comfort than warmth, there is also “feel”. If you are substituting a pad for an UQ, that will feel different when you are in the hammock. If you are talking about no UQ at all - just hammock fabric - then maybe in a vacuum you’d be okay (assuming you got the breathing thing figured out). It takes hardly any breeze to steal what heat your body produces.

But Note that I live in High Desert around 4000 ft only 20 miles from a ski mountain. Much different than someplace like Phoenix Arizona.

I like a 10 degree cushion and would go for the 40 degree unless you were ONLY going to use the 50 for day hikes. It is much easier to get too warm from what you have on top than your UQ below. As noticed in previous posts, some people use their 20 degree UQ year round. On a warm night, I’d probably still be comfortable with a 20 degree UQ but not a 20 degree TQ. It’s easier to “cool off” a quilt with venting than it is to make it warmer than its specified rating.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navbutler View Post
    I have a symmetrical HG hammock; I'm thinking that if I get too warm with the Asym UQ, I could switch to the non-insulated side.
    The non-insulated side of what? Underquilts aren't built with an insulated and non-insulated side.

I've never used my hammock without an underquilt either (except in the early days when I used a pad).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    the first time I ever slept in a hammock, which was a grand trunk skeeter beeter, I didn't have a underquilt and all I had on was a pair of shorts, but then again it was middle of July in north Alabama and the lows was somewhere in the 80s and highs in the mid to high 90s.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast