Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I always have to have one. My only quilt is a 20°F. If it's really hot I'll use an underquilt and skip the top quilt.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

No underquilt a what temperature

I'd say about 80s. I did an overnight once in the middle of the summer. the overnight low was about 80. I slept on top of my topquilt. I was warm most of the night. at 4 am I had to slip my feet in the top quilt because I got a slight chill.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have only gone without under quilt usage one time in the deep heat of summer but by about 3 am I was happy to use it.Rather than try to vent I just go with having it deployed or in standby mode.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I use an UQ indoors with my house temps mid 60’s. Has to be up in the 70’s for me to not use one.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If it is too hot for an underquilt, then it is too hot for me to be sleeping outside anyway.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    I live in the FL Keys so I got a 50* Trailwinder to use in the cooler months. I found that I need it below 75* and I start getting chilly with it at about 55*. But I am acclimated to the Keys and get cold easily. Like many others here when its warm out I still have it on but off to the side, and I move it under me if I wake up cold. Since I am cold natured I now wish I'd gotten the 40* version instead, as it would handle anything I'd see locally. I also have a 20* version for my son and we love them both.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    It's astonishing how cold you can feel in a hammock even though the temperature is 90+ degrees. I found that out when I was day hiking and carrying a lightweight hammock to take breaks in. It was in the 90's and when I got in the hammock it felt great. Then after about 10-15 minutes, it started to feel slightly chilly. Then more chilly. I was "seriously, it's 90 freaking degrees out and I'm cold?. WTH?"

There are a lot of factors to consider: Do you sleep cold? Is there wind? Where are you hanging? Is there a wind block? How thick is the fabric of your hammock? What are you wearing? What's the current temperature and what will be the lowest? What's the humidity? Do you want a safely margin?

I agree with most every one here. Get an UQ that's rated lower than you think you'll need. You may pay for it in $ and grams but if you think that isn't worth it, spend the night outside when it gets a bit chilly without it. Sleeping cold is one of the most annoying things I can think of while hammocking.

Think of this like clothing. You don't need a heavy jacket when you are hiking, you need it when you stop hiking. That's why you bring a jacket you "don't need" because you'll really need it.

I'd go with the lower rating. I have many differently rated UQs but if I had to choose only one, I'd get the one for the coldest I plan to hike (and then some because I sleep cold and then some because I like a safely cushion).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a 0 degree Wooki for my WBBB and I have used it from 15 degrees out to 90 degrees and have been finding I am always comfortable. For me, the key to regulating my temperature is my TQ. When it's cold, I'll use my 0 degree TQ, when it's warm, I'll go with nothing or just a sheet

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I never go without an underquilt. I will push it to the side if it’s too hot. But it’s always there. And I have 2 trail winders. A 40 asymmetrical, and 20 symmetrical. They have become the only UQs I use. The 40 is good to 60, and the 20 is good to 40. For me. Which is about right for my 20 degree buffer. But I did stack them at 30 and was right toasty. Great product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navbutler View Post
    I have a symmetrical HG hammock; I'm thinking that if I get too warm with the Asym UQ, I could switch to the non-insulated side.
    I'm gonna call bull on this concept of a non-insulated side. Imagine what would be required to have a non-insulated side of an UQ: you would actually have to have a vapor barrier, or a layer of insulation, to insulate yourself from the insulation. If that sounds bizarre, it's because it is a bizarre notion.

Even if you had the insulation in one layer, and then another layer (that maybe you could put a pad in) you haven't changed anything to make that other layer "uninsulated." It's just a UQ with two layers of nylon (or whatever your choice of fabric) on one side, which does not make that side "uninsulated."

I don't think the Trailwinder is a double layer UQ, or UQP, or whatever it is. However, even if it were, that wouldn't make one side less insulated than the other.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast