Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Sometimes when I go to sleep and it’s hot, say 75 or more, I’ll just leave the UQ to the side so i can cool off. By morning I’m always pulling it back under. It’s crazy how chilly it can feel at 70!
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The non-insulated side of what? Underquilts aren't built with an insulated and non-insulated side.
    From the looks of it, the Trail Winder UQ from Simply Light Designs is essentially an UQP with sections of climashield sewn into it, making it into an UQ. They appear to be sewn on based on the direction you lay, which I suppose could mean that if you switched lay direction in the hammock, you'd be off of the insulation at least partially.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    They appear to be sewn on based on the direction you lay, which I suppose could mean that if you switched lay direction in the hammock, you'd be off of the insulation at least partially.
    Doesn't sound like a particularly effective way to vent or cool down.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Well for me (I am female) my experience has been a UQ is a good thing unless you live in a tropical environment that does not cool after sunset.

A breeze under your hammock and over the ground acts like a Swamp Cooler, kicks the heat out, nature's air conditioning.

When we first purchased hammocks it was August high summer, I knew to put something under me I used a sheepskin. My daughter just hung her hammock. Daughter was chilly about an hour later. I was perfect my sheepskin kept my back insulated and not overheated. That was way back maybe 2003 or 04?

Today I have 0*F quilts. If it is warm I hang the quilt sloppy, lots of gaps. Air circulates if I chill it is easy to square away the UQ.

When it is hot I sleep without a TQ and minimal sleep wear.

We often hang where weather might shift suddenly, I do not want to get stuck without enough warmth.

A few times in the beginning of hammocking when I made a poor choic in choosing a hang spot I had a few misserable nights. UQ were just being discussed, I was using my trusty Poncho Liner from the Viet Nam era. I had myself all zipped into my Hennessy, the netting was attached to the hammock. Hot sticky and no breeze. My back side was comfortable with just the poncho liner, my upper body was too sticky and just yucky, because the bug net prevented air circulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Sometimes when I go to sleep and it’s hot, say 75 or more, I’ll just leave the UQ to the side so i can cool off. By morning I’m always pulling it back under. It’s crazy how chilly it can feel at 70!
    My nightly hang indoors still needs an underquilt. I made one from a Costco down quilt.

Outdoors I use a 20 degree underquilt, which was ok down to 14 unless I moved around. The UGQ Bandit can come with a sewn foot box or with a zipper and drawcord. My 20 is zipper and drawcord and that has been handy above 50. The new 0 degree is ordered with a sewn footbox.

Maybe a nice warm beach in the Carribean would be ok without an underquilt.... Hmmmm....

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I always use one. A 40ºF in milder Summer temps.
    You can vent a UQ.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by navbutler View Post
    At what temperature range does everyone feel comfortable without using an underquilt? For the 50-60 degree range, what type of insulation (if any) are you using? I'm looking at the Simply Light Trail Winder Asym, and can't decide between 40 deg and 50 deg. I have a symmetrical HG hammock; I'm thinking that if I get too warm with the Asym UQ, I could switch to the non-insulated side. Anyone have experience with either of these weights with this product....
    I'd get the 40 deg. I'd even consider getting the 20 deg (I have a 20 deg Trail Winder).

It has to be a very hot night before your UQ is too hot, and you can always pull it to the side. If it's above about 80 deg I might start the night with my UQ pulled to the side, but once it drops into the low 70s I'll get cold without it, and pull it back under me.

Think of a typical mattress as being equivalent to a -20 deg UQ, yet you sleep in it at all temps. For some reason people aren't sensitive to excessive warmth underneath the way they are to excessive warmth above.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I always use one... lightest is a 40F Phoenix. Vent as needed.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    I always use an UQ. When it is warm it is 40* partial length. I feel it is better to have and vent than not have and sleep cold. Even in the summer the temperature drop at night can make it feel cool to sleep.

Hammock
    DHSparrow,DWWide
    Tarp
    DWBH12,JRB12,UGQ12
    Insulation
    CR0,JRBMW4,B40SL40
    Suspension
    DWBB,SuprSusp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I always use one. A 40ºF in milder Summer temps.
    You can vent a UQ.
    Shug

Thanks Shug!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I live in a hot climate (SE N Carolina), and when it’s above 70 at night and really humid, I’ve been ok without an underquilt. We’ve had a number of scouts sleep in their hammocks at summer camp without any bedding at all (lows in mid-70s), and the ones with bug nets were fine. That being said, the time I tried that down in the 60s I wound up stuffing stuff in between the layers of my hammock to get some insulation, and promised myself I’d get a light underquilt. I have one of those Thermarest ones that I caught on sale (possibly for a reason) that I’m planning to use once the troop is allowed to camp again. My Trail Winder is 10*, which seems like overkill in the summer. Because of the UQP, it’s not easy to vent one of those on the ends, but you can certainly pull it to the side. I’m not sure what switching your lay would do; the insulated part is fairly wide, which when it’s cold is absolutely a good thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast