Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light weight single pole suspension?

I'm trying to find a support system I saw online some time ago (a year or two?) and not having any luck. It had a paired single pole ie one pole at each end for hammock support. It used a lightweight collapsible pole that was externally braced with 3 tensioned lines spaced 120 deg around the pole running between each end of the pole. Each line was tensioned and gained its leverage from its own short support arm that radiated from the middle of each pole.

'Scuse my artistry, but imagine 3 of these spaced around the pole on the left

|\
    | \ <-- tensioned cable going from one end of the pole to the other. Amsteel or something
    |...\ <-- the support/tensioning arm
    | /
    | /
    |/

When each pole was positioned on the ground it used:

* two lines extending down & outwards to ground stakes,
    * a line from each stake over the ground to the base of the pole (to prevent the pole base slipping towards the hammock),
    * a single ground line connecting each pole base (to prevent the pole bases from slipping away from the hammock).

I can't remember if it also had a ridge line or used the hammock's.

It wasn't the current Tensa4 system, but similar in concept. Anyone have a clue?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I think Shug is featuring what you are looking for at the beginning of this video;

https://youtu.be/2kPvSn5_T58

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    There is a newer version out, they are called Trekking Treez. I use them regularly and they are great.

https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...rekking-treez/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    You are describing the Handy Hammock stand, from the UK. Was acquired by DD Hammocks and sold for a little while, then discontinued with no explanation I’ve heard. Raftingtigger in California developed trekking poles that used a similar truss system to become a stand, called NoGround Trekking Poles. She developed also a heavier cheaper version called CarCamp, without trussing or trekking pole functionality.

Tensa Outdoor reworked CarCamp as Tensa Solo, and NoGround Trekking as Tensa Trekking Treez. Both are in production, though Trekking Treez have been hard to keep in stock with Covid19-related disruptions.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Shug's link is for something that is very similar to what I was looking for. Not the exact same thing, but same concept. I had already seen the Tensa mob's untrussed product. Didn't realise their Treez had morphed from this lady's trussed design until I followed links on her FB page. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if I like the carbon fibre untrussed design. CF is strong, but damage & delamination can be hidden. At least with metal you can mostly can see what you get.

I like the tarp extension idea too.

Later...

Found it! Slightly different to what I remembered, but this was it, from the UK: Handy Hammock Stand

Much later

I like Tensa Treez' simplicity but the cost! Bloody hell. ~$200 for a single pole. No way could I justify that. Still have a concern about the bottom of the pole slipping. Maybe a tent peg through the baseplate would work?
    Last edited by Tinstaafl; 05-16-2020 at 19:20.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I tried the Handy Hammock stand once. There was nothing wrong with the concept - it did what it was supposed to do. BUT - it required a very good ground anchors and the area I’d be without trees also had very poor ground. Like lava rock 6” under the soil. This was before turtle dogs and Tensa stands took off. If you consider this style support, beside you can put two per side solid anchors about a foot and a half in the soil. That said, enhanced anchor systems have been described in other posts. they sort of reroute the pull forces to horizontal rather than vertical.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I own a Handy Hammock system. The anchors weigh more than the poles, and the poles are rather short, with no higher tarp fixing points. The shortness of the poles means you rely on your ridgeline to keep your underquilt off the ground with a longer hammock, increasing tension on the anchor lines. Which pulled out for me about half the time i tried to rely on the system.

Carbon fiber can delaminate, but this is far less practical a concern as a high-tension trussing system getting damaged in the midst of a nest of tripwires in the dark backcountry. :-)
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    if i understand the OP correctly this is what is desired

IMG_2625.jpg

when the ground is soft using 3 pins / guy line helps

Hammock Anchor CAD.jpg

the base of the pole can be tied to the pins

20140928_190504.jpg

and the result works

yats_end.jpg

hope these stolen pics help

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Kelty tarp pole 3 nights and counting.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Nice, question is, how much to you weigh? How much do the poles weigh? And finally, why do you have the poles so far apart? Seems like just far enough to stretch your tarp allows for the shortest poles while keeping the hammock high enough. The buckling strength of a column decreases exponentially as the length increases.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast