Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix

Hummingbird Button Link Attachment

Does anyone have any experience with Hummingbird Hammocks' Button Link attachments? Seems like a nifty way to save weight attaching to my whoopie sling straps. Very packable while still giving me easy adjustability.

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by jledbetter2 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Hummingbird Hammocks' Button Link attachments? Seems like a nifty way to save weight attaching to my whoopie sling straps. Very packable while still giving me easy adjustability.
    https://hummingbirdhammocks.com/coll...utton-link-set

For reference.

Quote Originally Posted by jledbetter2 View Post
    I actually just received a set of their extra long whoopie tree straps and some extension lines that have the button links on them. It is a very nice little system, very light, and super easy to use. The button attachment feels plenty strong. I attached my BB XLC to it between a span of just over 30' and didn't need any additional hardware. Very solid, even at that long distance. With the extensions, I estimate I could hang between up to a 38' tree spacing if I wanted to. (Although I'd have to climb a bit to attach high enough!)

I previously just used Kammok Python tree straps for suspension, so this system is amazingly small and light in comparison. I'm quite impressed. Now I'd like to get one of their super light hammocks as well.

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    I actually just received a set of their extra long whoopie tree straps and some extension lines that have the button links on them. It is a very nice little system, very light, and super easy to use. The button attachment feels plenty strong. I attached my BB XLC to it between a span of just over 30' and didn't need any additional hardware. Very solid, even at that long distance. With the extensions, I estimate I could hang between up to a 38' tree spacing if I wanted to. (Although I'd have to climb a bit to attach high enough!)

I previously just used Kammok Python tree straps for suspension, so this system is amazingly small and light in comparison. I'm quite impressed. Now I'd like to get one of their super light hammocks as well.
    Nice, I like the sound of that a lot, thanks for the reply! My cheap hammock has heavy knotted rope to heavy biners that I connect to my whoopie slings. I think these would lighten up the load by a fair amount just for the attachment system. Seems like a great inexpensive investment.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I’ve not used them but used to use their whoopies and straps. Would have no issue with the buttons. I use soft shackles now.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I'd like to find some of those "buttons" for my own soft shackles. I struggle to tie good button knots and a hardware solution would be great! Does anybody sell them (or something similar) to DIYers?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dscotthep View Post
    I'd like to find some of those "buttons" for my own soft shackles. I struggle to tie good button knots and a hardware solution would be great! Does anybody sell them (or something similar) to DIYers?
    Try a marine shop.. sail making & rigging supplies
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    3D printer. I imagine you'd have thought of this if you owned one. I bet if you ask around, you'll find someone who has a printer and could knock it out for you. Or, maybe new business idea...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Try a marine shop.. sail making & rigging supplies
    Good suggestion! Sailrite is just down the road from me so I checked their website, but found nothing useful. Then I checked amazon for metal buttons, but found nothing I'd trust to hold me up off the ground. I've seen plastic and metal toggles that some are using, but I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go. I may may have to reconsider if the button thing doesn't pan out.

Thanks anyway!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Good suggestion! Sailrite is just down the road from me so I checked their website, but found nothing useful. Then I checked amazon for metal buttons, but found nothing I'd trust to hold me up off the ground. I've seen plastic and metal toggles that some are using, but I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go. I may may have to reconsider if the button thing doesn't pan out.
    Thanks anyway!
    I was working with toggles last night, for another project. I have about six sizes and a few materials.. however, nothing I would be comfortable hanging on.

This seems like the perfect application for a button or diamond knot. Prior to switching to the becket hitch I used either a ucr or whoopie and they connected to my CL using diamond knots. Same for my tarp connection to the RL. Safe to hang on if you've tied them correctly

Here... on a Dynaglide UCR.....

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts