Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Attached whoopies in the rain.

Hello all.

I have a hammock with the whoopies attached to the hammock (I'm assuming permanently). During a rain storm earlier this week, I set up my tarp and hammock for a test. Upon taking everything down, the whoopies were wet because they extended past my tarp. When you're on the trail, how do you handle this so that your main hammock body doesn't get wet when you put the hammock in its stuff sack?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Maybe that assumption isn’t correct. If the Whoopie is attached to the hammocks continuous loop. But the way I handled the wet and freezing rain/ice problem with Whoopies was to switch to Daisy Chain

If you are storing your hammock in a double ended stuff sack - all mine use those - there is no need to bring any suspension into the bag with the hammock. Leave the suspension outside and wrap it around the outside of the sack.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    The solution is not to attach whoopies directly to the hammock. Either that or just deal with the little bit of moisture that might make it into the bag.

Ideally, put a continuous loop on the hammock and attach whoopies to that instead of keeping them permanently on the hammock.

But like cougarmeat, i've switched away from whoopies entirely. I just use simple strap and knot.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've been using 1" straps from the start...8 years now. Even after solid rain, I just pack the hammock end to end in the stuff sack. I never had a wet hammock. At best, damp on the first few inches of each end where you and the quilts won't touch anyway. Sap...totally different story!

Hammock
    11.5', 1.3 MTN Hybrid XL
    Tarp
    3*3 m 15D diamond
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    I also keep my whoopies directly attached to the hammock instead of a continuous loop. I never had issues with water getting past the suspension though. The adjustable strand peaking out of the bury acts as a water break and i tie a slip knot below it for extra security (water break wise).

Quote Originally Posted by droney View Post
    I also keep my whoopies directly attached to the hammock instead of a continuous loop. I never had issues with water getting past the suspension though. The adjustable strand peaking out of the bury acts as a water break and i tie a slip knot below it for extra security (water break wise).
    Perfect, thank you. This puts my mind at ease.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    And you can carry some short cotton shoe laces. You can hang those close to the end of the hammock. Any water getting past your water break(s), will get absorbed by the cotton laces and drip down.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Add a drip line and carry forth.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Northbound_Paddler View Post
    Hello all.

I have a hammock with the whoopies attached to the hammock (I'm assuming permanently). During a rain storm earlier this week, I set up my tarp and hammock for a test. Upon taking everything down, the whoopies were wet because they extended past my tarp. When you're on the trail, how do you handle this so that your main hammock body doesn't get wet when you put the hammock in its stuff sack?

Thanks!

You've gotten good suggestions on drip lines, but also note that when you're on an actual trip stuff is going to get damp but that's okay. It will not harm your hammock if the ends are damp when you stuff it into its sack. Wet (or tree-sapped!) suspension straps can be put in a ziploc bag, but I put damp suspension straps right into the same bag with the hammock.

If the weather is wet for several days straight, stuff is going to remain damp. A well-known tradition when on trail is the "drying party" that takes place when the sun comes out and a warm, dry breeze calls for a pack dump so that damp gear to be spread out and dried thoroughly.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Easy enough to make a set of continuous loops for the hammock so you can store the suspension separately. Wet or dry, my suspension goes in one bag (a cuben taco bag) with stakes, stored on the outside of the pack and the hammock goes in a stuff sack stored in the pack.

Kind of inevitable that the ends of your hammock will get damp at a minimum... putting the whole think in it's own stuff sack will keep the rest of the contents of you pack from getting wet. I keep my quilts in a nylofume pack liner and the hammock sits on top of that. Nothing gets wet.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast