DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

TQ/UQ warmth rating question

Generally speaking, using both a TQ and UQ is it more important to have a warmer TQ or a warmer UQ if you had to pick between the two? Assuming you want to be warm.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    As long as my backside is warm all good for for me, I think Underquilt is very important to get right, you can always add warmth to a tq, i am but a beginner really compared to most of these guys on here, more replies will follow for sure from guys much more qualified then me

Dave
    Last edited by hangerdave; 05-15-2020 at 02:16.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bearito View Post
    Generally speaking, using both a TQ and UQ is it more important to have a warmer TQ or a warmer UQ if you had to pick between the two? Assuming you want to be warm.
    Respectfully I think your question is wrong. I believe you are asking of the 2 - TQ and UQ - which is more vital to keeping you warm.

Answer is both. IMHO a good 3 season set up is 20* (that is a matching set of 20*'s) and a good entry into 4 season is 0*.

I have taken a 20* UQ and a 0* sleeping bag down to single digits and was ok. Ok is uncomfortable but certainly would be doable just mosty miserable.

These are ratings only - If it says 20* you will be "ok" at that temp just as in my example above. Of all the things to skimp on don't skimp on insulation. Buy the hammock that's a little bit heavier but cheaper, buy a cheaper tarp, buy cheaper boots, but don't ever skimp on insulation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you for your replies. To clarify, I have a 20* and a 40* quilt that could function as either TQ or UQ.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    UQ covers your back, wraps around the sides of you, is not compressed, cannot be easily supplemented like a TQ, and your backside will likely catch more wind. So you want to get it right.

I often use a 30° UQ and 40° TQ combo.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Alright that makes sense, thanks again. I can always supplement if the temperature is iffy.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Warmer bottom quilt. You can always throw extra clothing on top of you to supplement your top quilt. Any clothing you lay directly on will be crushed, thereby rendered ineffective for insulation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    UQ is more important to me. I try to use a quilt that is rated at least 10 degrees warming than the expected temperature. Under normal conditions, I’d match them. If I need to go lighter, I’d take a lighter TQ. If there would be an unusually cold night for the given season. I’d take a warmer UQ.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-15-2020 at 11:52.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Under quilt seems more important. Its easier to throw on some extra clothes or add a fleece liner, but it's hard to make your under quilt warmer. I suppose you can add a pad, but I typically am not going to be packing a pad in addition to a quilt, but I'll have a fleece or puffy with me to supplement.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For me in a GE hammock, UQ rating is more of the issue. Lie in a hammock without one when it is cool or cold out and it becomes clear where you need the most insulation. There have been many times where I've needed only a UQ to be comfortable, at least for the first half of the night. I think this is due partially to compression underneath, partially to the larger surface area covered by the UQ as compared to the TQ, and partially to the wind- blocking duty of the UQ. However, as the nights warm up, the UQ rating needs to be much higher for me or I get too hot.

A bridge, on the other hand, is different, at least in my experience. I listened to the advice of others when I bought my WBRR years ago and got a 0⁰ Lynx for even summer use. The advice was that you lie on top of the bridge UQ-- it doesn't wrap around you like a GE UQ-- so it can be a cooler rating and still be comfortable. If you think about it, must people don't typically change their bed mattress when temps change. This has worked well for me in my RR but I'll still use a CC pad in the DL sleeve instead of the UQ when it's really warm out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast