Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Superfly most of the time for me unless I am being ultralight then I'll take my Mountainfly. My SLD Winterdream with the internal pole mods is the airplane hangar of a tarp when I want a ton of room for nasty weather and when I'm not putting in big miles. The attached picture is a good way to visualize the different widths of Warbonnet tarps (with the Superfly being wider than all three of these). I always recommend the pole mod with a Warbonnet tarp - doesn't add a ton of weight and opens it up a good bit.

Tarp-Comparison-01-768x512.jpg

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Superfly vs Mountainfly vs Thunderfly

Superfly is like a palace! it's really nice to have hiking buddies come hang out under the tarp with you. most of my friends sleep in tents. when it rains I still get to hang out with them under my big tarp. thunderfly is more than enough tarp to keep you dry and comfortable. I like having two tarps. a smaller one like a minifly or thunderdly for when I go solo and the weather is going to be reasonably nice. Superfly for when I know weather will be less than favorable AND I'm hiking with other friends.

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Nice, thanks for all the feedback, everybody, this is extremely helpful!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I have both a superfly and the mountain fly. I really like that with the mountain fly I can simply duck under the door with out fiddling. In heavy duty weather it’s the superfly for sure.

In there is to be no chance of weather i simply use a hex fly.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

I have an 11 foot Superfly and a 13 foot Thunderfly (got it for my Ridgerunner). I've had the Superfly for years, but got the Thunderfly in the last Black Friday sale, so I have less experience with it. I LOVE my Thunderfly. I also do love my Superfly, but I feel like the Thunderfly still gives me great coverage, and I prefer the half-sized doors because I can just duck under them. I've never had the Thunderfly in blowing rain, but I did have it on a trip where it rained literally the entire time, and I never felt like I didn't have enough coverage. I was as cozy and dry as could be underneath it. That being said, I am considering also buying a Mountainfly, because I want to try out silpoly (after all the sag I experienced with the silnylon on that rainy trip), and I want to get the center tie-outs and center pole mod (not available back when I got my Superfly, and not available now on the Thunderfly).

In summary, both the Thunderfly and Superfly are solid tarps in my experience. The Superfly will give you more coverage from wind/blowing rain, but the half-doors in the Thunderfly are nice for giving you good coverage without getting in your way on entry/exit. The Thunderfly is my go-to tarp at this point (but I do have my eye on a Mountainfly).
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 05-25-2020 at 15:48.

Hammock
    DHSparrow,DWWide
    Tarp
    DWBH12,JRB12,UGQ12
    Insulation
    CR0,JRBMW4,B40SL40
    Suspension
    DWBB,SuprSusp
    Images
    I went through the same evaluation process earlier this year, I settled on a Superfly. The 2-6 oz weight difference between the 4 models wasn't that significant for a 250 lb hiker taking 2-3 day trips. It's nice to have the insurance coverage. The tarp is easy to set up and takes a minimal amount of pack space. I can set it up in porch mode if it's too hot, and, my final deciding factor, I got it on sale around $100 when Warbonnet had one of it's seasonal 30%+ sales. If I want to spare some seasonal weight, I may look at a Dyneema tarp with a simpler format later.

I'm deciding between a Thunderfly and Mountainfly. I want panel pullouts, so it looks like the two tarps cost the same
    So is this a decision between weight and coverage or am I missing something else?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by monty33 View Post
    I'm deciding between a Thunderfly and Mountainfly. I want panel pullouts, so it looks like the two tarps cost the same
    So is this a decision between weight and coverage or am I missing something else?
    Yes. Different sizes on width and beaks. Thus more weight for the largest...Mountainfly.
    Video below shows Minifly and Thunderfly for comparison. Mountainfly would be bigger than both.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I'd say that about sums it upTarp-Comparison-01-768x512.jpg FWIW, I went nuts comparing these two tarps and realized it didn't make much difference and went with the Thunderfly (I'm quite happy with it, btw.) Of course then it was on to BIG stuff, like fabric and color. Sometimes I think I do that as therapy during the cold winter months.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    It doesn't look like much, but in really heinous weather that little bit of additional coverage at the bottom can make a big difference. I suppose it depends on how much sideways rain you expect.

If you like to pitch your tarp high for more headroom, that is a big factor... you'll appreciate the larger tarp.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast