Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Screen Tent/Screened Canopy for hammock stand

I'm looking for advice on getting a semi-permanent screen tent/screen canopy for my standard steel tube hammock stand. I want to put it up in the yard so I can be outside during our incredibly buggy summers without soaking myself in bug spray. I am not looking for an actual camping solution, which you have covered beautifully in other posts.
    Screen Tent.jpg

Most of the models I've seen are 10'x10', which means the diagonal dimension is 14' and change, which should accommodate a steel hammock stand that is 12' long.

1) If anyone has experience with these, if I have the stand placed diagonally in the tent, will spreader bars hit the sides?
    2) If anyone has owned one of these before, do they have a brand suggestion?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    As you pointed out, a 12' stand will fit diagonally in a 10'x10' shelter with about 2' to spare. Will spreader bars hit the sides? That depends on the dimensions of the hammock. Do you know the length and width of your hammock (or the hammock you plan to get)?

FWIW, a gathered end hammock will not have those clearance issues. Have you considered a Brazilian style hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    This is a pretty neat idea. A more expensive version would be a screened in gazebo. Could make it as big as you like.

The one I own has 5' spreader bars and I assume the length is 10'-ish. I usually have to tighten it repeatedly for a week as my 300lbs stretches the cords. With that play in the length from the ends, I'm not sure if the spreader bar will hit.

You're right, probably the solution is to buy the tent and get a non-spreader bar hammock if the one I own doesn't work.

I actually looked into a "Screen Shed", which should cost around $2k to build or $4,500 to order pre-assembled, but the only private place on my urban lot is too close to my house and the property line to allow for the required zoning setbacks. The Screen Shed seems like a gamechanger. Everyone in my family has wanted a screened-in porch, but they've been to expensive. Not having the **** thing attached to your house makes it a lot easier to permit and install. The next house will definitely have one.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I did a quick sketch in autocad and you can fit your spreader bar hammock in a 10'X10' shelter... barely! And only if you hang the hammock with enough sag to get the distance between the bars below 9'.

The screened shelter is actually a good idea that I'm surprised I haven't seen here before. Or maybe I've just missed it. Its a much better solution, IMHO, than a fronkey style net for a backyard hang.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

Awesome, AutoCAD to the rescue once again! I'll see if I can find a decently rated screen tent model.

Images
    Cabelas has a 10 x 12 and a 15 x 17 on sale..$99 or $119...
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Worth noting...those things are not robust. They are vulnerable to damage from wind and limbfall. Also, they are close; plan on a fan.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If this is just to keep bugs away and not concerned about rain, there are several rectangular shaped bug nets at REI and Amazon. I’m guessing that if you soak them in permethrin, they would do what you want. However, they are not free standing.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast