Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed Bug Free
    Tarp
    Unigear 9.8'x13'
    Suspension
    Superior Suspensio

1st post & 1st setup!

Good evening, the snow quit here in upstate NY long enough for me to get out back and do a test setup of my Hammock Bliss Sky Bed and unigear tarp. This was my 1st time setting up a hammock and tarp and there is def room for improvement, was just trying to get a feel for how these items work together and was dying to feel what a real hammock is like! I welcome any tips, tricks, suggestions to help me improve my setups.

I think i need to pick trees that are wider apart, these trees were about 13' and my tarp is longer than that, so it is bunched up. I removed the stock suspension ropes and made my own amsteel CL's and i bought an adjustable amsteel ridgeline that i installed with the CL's.

I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable and roomy it is in this hammock, i'm looking forward to actually overnighting once the weather here warms up as i haven't looked at any quilts yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Welcome to HF. You'll get that kit and setup figured out the more time you spend in it. Good looking GSP pup. It's hard to beat a bird dog.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    Hi MJM-NY. First off the best advice that I can give you is to watch Shug's videos on youtube. Secondly, perhaps you can turn that tarp into a diamond configuration to shorten the distance needed between the trees. The best thing that you have done is to actually get out and hand in order to start figuring things out. Wish you the best of luck

Hammock
    Tarp
    Unigear 9.8'x13'
    Suspension
    Superior Suspensio
    i had to look up GSP dog! I actually did the dog DNA test on her and was surprised. I knew she is 50% beagle as i saw the mother. This is her lineage:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Unigear 9.8'x13'
    Suspension
    Superior Suspensio
    i have seen a couple of Shug's videos, i'll subscribe to his channel and watch some more. I have seen tarps turned on the diagonal, i just wasn't sure which way was the most optimal.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome! Nice setup for first try. The pup definitely seems satisfied with it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum! You're going to find a real wealth of information and friendly members willing to give share their own experience. Everybody has their own preferences when it comes to hanging. The only way to learn yours is to keep getting out there!

You've already learned at least one thing on your own. The longer your tarp is, the further apart the trees must be. A long tarp may limit your hang options a bit.

Your profile says that your tarp is a Unigear 300x400mm. I suspect you meant 300x400cm. 400mm is less than 16 inches. 400cm is a little over 13 feet.

From what I've seen here on the forum, a 13-foot tarp is a bit longer than most folks use for backcountry hanging. It's certainly feasible of course, but it's a little bit overkill for your hammock in my opinion. The Hammock Bliss Sky Bed is less than 10.5 feet long. So you're hanging with a 13 foot tarp over a 10.5 foot hammock.

There's a lot of discussion regarding tarp length on this forum. Here are just a few threads:
    Tarp Length
    Tarp Length vs Hammock Length
    Q: tarp length and hammock length
    Tarp Length
    How small a tarp can I get by with?

There are dozens more.

When you read these (and other) threads, you'll learn that there really is no "right" tarp length. As long as it keeps you dry and meets your other needs, go with what works for you. But most folks will tend to lean toward getting "just enough" tarp to keep them dry and meet their other needs. Otherwise they are just carrying excess weight and constraining their hanging options.

That doesn't mean you should immediately dump your tarp and buy a shorter one. Yours is perfectly functional and high end tarps can be expensive. The forum is also filled with folks who jumped to a high end tarp, only to see them on the "For Sale" thread short time later because they decided it wasn't quite right for them. I recommend that you get out there with what you have. Learn what you like about it and what you don't. Experiment with different ways of setting it up. Learn tree distance. Learn how high/low to set it up. etc. etc. The more experience you gain, the more likely you'll pick the right replacement tarp once you're ready to make the jump to something else.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Unigear 9.8'x13'
    Suspension
    Superior Suspensio
    thanks for the info on the tarp, i will def turn it on it's diagonal and see how that works out. thanks for all the links, i will def check them out. You're correct it's cm not mm! The info and help from everyone already is amazing!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey!
    Enjoy being new and discovering all the hammock related knowledge ahead of you.
    You did good.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Unigear 9.8'x13'
    Suspension
    Superior Suspensio
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey!
    Enjoy being new and discovering all the hammock related knowledge ahead of you.
    You did good.
    Shug
    I'm enjoying your videos, very entertaining and informative!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast