Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Your first setup looks great! Good angles. Know that the wider apart the trees are the higher you have to hang the suspension straps to keep that angle. I’m not sure the advice of a diamond/diagonal tarp hang is correct. If I remember, the hypotenuse of a triangle is the longest side. By going opposite corner to opposite corning your tarp will be longer because the diagonal is longer than either the length or width. IMHO

If you are tall (everyone is tall to me) you can handle the extra tree distance and get the hammock supports at the right height. Here’s a link for a hammock calculator that gives recommended height for a given hammock length and tree distance: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Keeping in mind we are dealing with approximates, here are some numbers to keep in mind … usually the hammock is hung so that the ends are about 83% to 86% of the actually physical length. Looks like your Sky Bed is 10.5 ft. That puts the ends somewhere between 8.5 ft and 9 ft apart - That would be a starting point. If you hang at about (everything said in this post is “about”) 30 degrees, then ends will end up around there.

If you extend your index figure out and thumb up, the diagonal line between them is about 30 degrees.

Starting there, you can shorten or lengthen the suspension and see how it feels. Once you find that comfort spot - usually a range rather than a specific point - you can measure the distance between the hammock ends when you get out of the hammock. Though that distance might change a little when you are in the hammock, when you set it up, you are out of it, you so you want to duplicate that distance when you are out of the hammock.

The above is how you’d set it up if your hammock didn’t already have a ridge line that controls how far apart the end are. But the Sky Bed says it has a built in bug net and that usually means there’s a built in ridge line that 1) limits how far apart the hammock ends are and 2) holds the net up so it doesn’t fall on your face.

If the hammock already has a ridge line, you want to hang at an angle so that line is just slightly loose or snug - not guitar string tight.

Yes, the tarp is a bit larger than it needs to be - but that’s not “wrong”. It means 1) you will have an interesting time setting it up if it’s windy (snake skins are sleeves the tarp goes in and make it easier to set up in the wind because you only expose a little of the tarp at a time when rigging it up), 2) you will have great coverage both in your hammock and outside the hammock but still under the tarp.

There is more to read about “porch mode” and other styles but it looks like you are off to a great start.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-14-2020 at 15:32.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed Bug Free
    Tarp
    Unigear 9.8'x13'
    Suspension
    Superior Suspensio
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Your first setup looks great! Good angles. Know that the wider apart the trees are the higher you have to hang the suspension straps to keep that angle. I’m not sure the advice of a diamond/diagonal tarp hang is correct. If I remember, the hypotenuse of a triangle is the longest side. By going opposite corner to opposite corning your tarp will be longer because the diagonal is longer than either the length or width. IMHO

If you are tall (everyone is tall to me) you can handle the extra tree distance and get the hammock supports at the right height. Here’s a link for a hammock calculator that gives recommended height for a given hammock length and tree distance: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Keeping in mind we are dealing with approximates, here are some numbers to keep in mind … usually the hammock is hung so that the ends are about 83% to 86% of the actually physical length. Looks like your Sky Bed is 10.5 ft. That puts the ends somewhere between 8.5 ft and 9 ft apart - That would be a starting point. If you hang at about (everything said in this post is “about”) 30 degrees, then ends will end up around there.

If you extend your index figure out and thumb up, the diagonal line between them is about 30 degrees.

Starting there, you can shorten or lengthen the suspension and see how it feels. Once you find that comfort spot - usually a range rather than a specific point - you can measure the distance between the hammock ends when you get out of the hammock. Though that distance might change a little when you are in the hammock, when you set it up, you are out of it, you so you want to duplicate that distance when you are out of the hammock.

The above is how you’d set it up if your hammock didn’t already have a ridge line that controls how far apart the end are. But the Sky Bed says it has a built in bug net and that usually means there’s a built in ridge line that 1) limits how far apart the hammock ends are and 2) holds the net up so it doesn’t fall on your face.

If the hammock already has a ridge line, you want to hang at an angle so that line is just slightly loose or snug - not guitar string tight.

Yes, the tarp is a bit larger than it needs to be - but that’s not “wrong”. It means 1) you will have an interesting time setting it up if it’s windy (snake skins are sleeves the tarp goes in and make it easier to set up in the wind because you only expose a little of the tarp at a time when rigging it up), 2) you will have great coverage both in your hammock and outside the hammock but still under the tarp.

There is more to read about “porch mode” and other styles but it looks like you are off to a great start.
    thank you for all those tips and suggestions. The sky bed didn't come with a ridge line, but i installed an amsteel adjustable one when i installed the CL's to replace stock ropes. I'm waiting for my new Superior suspension to come (similar to beetle buckle) and i think that will help my setup go smoother. I'll look up the porch mode for the tarp and see how that works out.

MJM-NY

Welcome.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12