Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images

Darien or Freebird with Open Bottom Net

I have owned the old Taffeta Dangerbird and then - for the past 7 years - a Thunderbird - I am so happy with it ! So sorry others, but my next hammock will be from Papasmurf again.

I am looking for a much lighter option though. I rarely carry the top cover of the DB, but I always have the net with me - with continuous loops I am at 31oz for the netted DL hammock.

I would like a hammock and net at < 20oz. I am thinking about a SL 11 ft / 65'' wide 1.3 MTN. Both the Darien or the Freebird with Open Bottom net seem to fit the specs.

I was thinking that the OBN at about 40g extra weight may provide for protection both top and bottom. I have never used any repellent product because my DL hammock provided sufficient protection.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have Dariens (10'x64") in 1.2 and 1.7 Robic (now MTN) and haven't had any problems with insects biting through them. Both are single layer.

My preference is integrated net but I can appreciate the allure of having a separate net than can be removed completely, and there's no potential zipper failure. However, I have a couple of inexpensive netless hammocks (Dutch and SLD) for times when bugs are not a problem, and a Half-Wit that I use when there are a few bugs out. It is made of Hexon 1.0 and I also have not experienced bug bites through that material.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I prefer the integrated bug net as well. I have a SL 10ft 60in wide darien in the 1.3 MTN and with continuous loops and a ridgeline organizer it weighs in at 14.07oz. I've never had an issue with insects biting through either.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I would like a hammock and net at < 20oz. I am thinking about a SL 11 ft / 65'' wide 1.3 MTN. Both the Darien or the Freebird with Open Bottom net seem to fit the specs...What are your thoughts on this ?
    I'm a fan of the MTN 1.3 and recently made myself one (pics on my Instagram page from about 5-6 months back if you want to search). The hammock with amsteel loops and a zingit ridgeline weighs 10 ounces. The stuff sack adds a few grams to that. You could add the bug net of your choice. I'm about 160 pounds and find the MTN 1.3 fabric supportive and comfortable with minimal stretch, or just the right amount of stretch for my tastes.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts