Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hammock with a dog enclosure?

hey.
    I just ordered sierra madre ninox hammock but trying to find some kind of enclosure or walls preferable with a floor around the hammock for my dog to sleep with me(its a small staffordshire bull terrier) that will fit the wide ninox?..Anyone have some good ideas or tips for camping with a dog in a hammock? i`v found a video of the cave creek dog palace on yt but unfortunally they do not ship to Norway.Are there any good alternatives?even any diy?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I have this and my 55lb Siberian husky fits just fine in it: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/pup-tent/
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I made a hammock-tent for winter camping with a footprint that was about 30" x 36" - just big enough to hold a pad for my dog. It worked pretty well, but was hard to pitch on a snow-covered slope. I also made an insulated dog hammock that hung below my own insulated hammock. That worked very well, given a dog that is willing to learn how to enter and exit a hammock by itself (some can). Both projects were a lot of work. A better start would be the Pup Tent hung from your hammock line to see what your dog prefers. Some dogs like to sleep on the ground under your hammock. Some dogs can deal with bug netting, some can't. You'll be working out how (or if) to leash your dog, too. One dog taught me that we were both likely to sleep quietly through the night if he wasn't tied. It's a joy to wake up in the morning and look down and see your dog right there under you.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I agree with WV's comment.
    My experience with hanging and dog over a 16 or 17 year span.
    First dog---Staffie X Bullmastive, hated being away from home after sunset.

Second dog--- Sharpei strictly a car camper.

Dog three--- Pug, in hammock and glued to my hip, he would not move until sunrise.

Fourth dog--- Bouvier Des Flanders (Medical Alert Dog). In the summer she slept under my hammock in her own hammock. Winter she slept on a chunk of Tyvek on the ground directly under me. She was the first thing my feet touched in the morning. As my Bouvie aged I would put her doggy coat over her like a blanket.

Fifth dog is my current Service Dog in training. Boris is a male Bouvie he is significantly busier than my previous Bouvie, so I keep him tethered to me until he is a bit more mature.

My experience has been some dogs like camping and some do not. Some want to sleep natural (on the ground with lite shelter or no shelter, my Chow Chow's demanded to sleep outside in blizzard conditions.

Most dogs DO NOT SEE WELL CLOSE UP so they go right through screens. Some dogs just hate being enclosed. My dogs have all thought sleeping in a tent was stupid and therefore unsafe. My experience has been most of my dogs guard me if we are in the open most of the dogs have slept comfortably. Having a tarp over us is fine having everything covered is not.

As WV states K9s have their own opinion on sleeping arrangements.

My Bouvier put out a lot of moist heat just like having a heater under my hammock.

All my dogs have had their own homemade hammock. Like people some dogs lounge, some spend the night hanging, some dogs want four walls at night.

If you have a sensitive nose sleeping with puppy might require nose plugs.

Hammock
    DIY Multicam /DIY Argon1.6
    Tarp
    CaveCreekPonderosa
    Insulation
    CaveCreekQuilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K.t.m View Post
    hey.
    I just ordered sierra madre ninox hammock but trying to find some kind of enclosure or walls preferable with a floor around the hammock for my dog to sleep with me(its a small staffordshire bull terrier) that will fit the wide ninox?..Anyone have some good ideas or tips for camping with a dog in a hammock? i`v found a video of the cave creek dog palace on yt but unfortunally they do not ship to Norway.Are there any good alternatives?even any diy?
    K.t.m,
    Hello, Although my standard shipping policy is US only, I have shipped to Canada, and Japan once purchaser had approved paying the typically high shipping cost.
    Send me an email and I’d be happy to quote you a shipping cost.

[email protected]

Thanks,
    Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    I have this and my 55lb Siberian husky fits just fine in it: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/pup-tent/
    That's pretty neat. did you have to do any training or positive reinforcement to go in there?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisc View Post
    That's pretty neat. did you have to do any training or positive reinforcement to go in there?
    I haven't had it long and only used it once so far and my dog is very cautious of stuff and didn't want to go in. I had to push her in and she escaped 3 or 4 times before I could close it. left the zippers on the bottom and about 3am she figured out how to open the zippers up (huskies are great problem solvers), luckily she was tied to a tree and couldn't run off. next time I will place the zippers on the side and hope that works, if not will have to put a small carabiner on the zipper pulls so she can't open it up.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Randerson View Post
    K.t.m,
    Hello, Although my standard shipping policy is US only, I have shipped to Canada, and Japan once purchaser had approved paying the typically high shipping cost.
    Send me an email and I’d be happy to quote you a shipping cost.

[email protected]

Thanks,
    Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you Rick,i`ve sent you an Email

And for the others guys,thanks for the tips.I gonna see how my dog react when i get my hammock as suggested.Set it up in the backyard and make him get used to be around it over time with a lot of treats may help:-)
    Last edited by K.t.m; 05-14-2020 at 07:29.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    SUPER FLY
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    . My dog loves this small tent.

This photo is from a car camping trip but we use the same set up backpacking.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Since you have a Sierra Madre hammock, did you look at the Stratos Shield? It's a bug net / gear hammock in one that can be hung low enough to have the floor be on the ground. I've messed with one and it was heavier than what I want to carry, but I like the concept.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast