DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    As you can tell from the variety of responses, this is really a personal preference kind of issue. Only you can decide whether having the shelf is worth the extra cost for you. I went through the same thought process awhile back and ultimately decided on the Eldorado. I've been perfectly happy with the dual-purpose stuff sack/ridge line organizer. I don't miss the shelf. (You can't miss what you never had.)
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don’t know the Elderado, so I’ll assume it has the same footbox as the BlackBird - which allows larger size hammock comfort in a smaller profile. Remember, half the material on the shelf is just bugnet material. I don’t mind tossing some cloths there or a maybe a soft covered book, but for something like a flashlight or watch - metal parts with edges - I’d put them in an ridge line organizer or just clip them directly to the ridge line with micro-biners. I prefer to reach up to get the flashlight then to feel around in the shelf for it. If I use the shelf, I use it sparingly and with some delicacy. If the stuff to store is heavy, has edges or points, I find a different storage solution. Some might say I baby my gear too much. I found that if I take care of it, it takes care of me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Eldorado......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    You can definitely make an argument for both. I personally don't like having anything hanging above me on the ridge line. Feels weird having something hanging there to me. I also don't like the silhouette of shelves for aesthetic reasons. There's no really good answer. I went with the shelves.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the El Dorado and got an extra stuff sack for it that I use my quilt and as a ridge-line organizer. I love it.

But for me the netting was the key. I tried out my friend's Traveller, and wanted that, with a bug net. I camp mostly in the south where the mosquitoes will carry away small children. When the El Dorado came out, that was perfect!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    My long suffering DIY hammock that I have slept in every night x3.5 years, and been on countless motorcycle trips, backpacking trips, etc, has finally started showing some fairly significant wear/holes. After contemplating making another DIY hammock, and researching other vendors, I have convinced myself (and my DLSW), that an Eldorado is going to be the next hammock. The removable bugnet was key (vs. partially removable).

I couldn't quite talk myself into an full on BB XLC, and the Eldorado fits that balance of functionality and modularity that I was looking for.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have an El Dorado. The stuff sack can be attached to the ridgeline for extra storage, which is good enough for what I keep in the hammock. Just have to be careful getting out of the hammock so I don't dump my pillow out. The shelf would help with that, but to me it wasn't worth the extra cost (I got the hammock on a WB sale for $70). But, a peak loft like Dutch has for the Chameleon would be handy. I put one of those on my Half Zipped.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Personally, I like and use the shelf a lot. I don't have an Elderado, but I figure it must be like using a DH Sparrow. Either works fine, but the shelf is a nice feature. Also, I would opine that the resale on a WBBB XLC would be better than an Elderado if it came down to that. Something that I usually consider since I like to change it up quite a bit.

I love the shelf. Especially in Spring and Fall when it's just cool enough to go to sleep without a top quilt. Wake up around midnight and it's a bit cool, reach up into the shelf and grab that topquilt. I also toss tomorrow's socks in the shelf where they are handy. Early Spring and Late Fall, I'll toss a balaclava and my Jacks R Better down sleeves in the shelf just in case I need some supplemental insulation. Winter, I got topless with a simple hammock.

When or what time of the year does WB have that good a sale?! I'm considering a WB XLC, but on the fence with so many other great manufacturers as well. Considering a 12 footer being that I'm 6'4" even though the WB XLC fits up to 6'6".
    thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast