DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Transparent poly tarp

I've made a polycro tarp for backpacking that actually held up longer than I thought it would, but I'm looking into something a bit more durable. I came across this transparent polyethylene tarp and I'm planning on getting it. It's 3.4oz a yard, so not exactly lightweight but if you want shelter and an unobstructed view it's probably more reliable than polycro (it's 5.1mil thick). It's also like $15 plus shipping or store pickup. It's nearly 10x12, has tie outs every 36" and the edges have a rope in the hem.

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/prod...terproof-2ZJ52

Anyone have experience with this before?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Back in the day, when I was at Colorado Outward Bound that is what we used for tents. Roll your own every night. Used it for years afterwards. I still have one laying around that I put grommets in. Works, inexpensive, and it makes you use your head to come up with a suitable shelter...or else ;-)

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    With the weight, I think that ridge sag is going to be the biggest challenge
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    3.4oz/yd
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    3.4oz/yd
    So I need to figure out a way to hang under 1yd. A 3.4oz tarp...SUL!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The transparent tarp is about the same weight as a standard duty 10x12 blue poly tarp with the same thickness and grommet spacing. So definitely not light weight, but cheap (cheaper than the blue tarp on grainger) and with the novelty of being transparent. I probably wouldn't want to take it on a thru-hike but I could see myself lugging this around for the view on a casual camping/short backpacking trip, if I'm able to pitch it right.

2014 was the golden age of polycro tarps, and clear tarps in general apparently. My polycro tarp failed eventually when I used it as a mini greenhouse in my yard. I left it up for who knows how long (at least a month) and the first thing to come apart was a tie out- the gorilla tape failed. I believe heavy winds weeks later were responsible for the tear a few weeks later, but I had made a wooden framed structure and I think it tore on a corner of the frame. That's really not too shabby. I used vinyl tape at the edges and tieouts reinforced with gorilla tape. I used plastic washers as grommets. Heard people were having good luck with sheetbends around ping pong balls. Maybe I'll repeat the design but the biggest problem with polycro I noticed was I couldn't find the right sized pieces to suit my needs in the max strength variety. Hard to make one of these longer than 10ft in a durable design without it being asymmetrical, and as a new hammock camper I am leaning towards a greater realm of coverage.

EDIT: Just got the tarp. It seems pretty durable really, and isn't as heavy as the brown/silver ones you'd find in a big box hardware store. It's a bit cloudy though. You won't see the stars through it like with polycro. Still, it'll serve me well until I get a nice one from SLD. If you don't already have a tarp and you're planning on using a blue poly one you've got nothing to lose. Otherwise, you have about 2.3oz/yard and maybe a more immersive view to gain :-)
    Last edited by bearito; 05-12-2020 at 16:47.

• + New Posts