DIY Underquilt Questions

Hi Folks,

I'm working on putting together an underquilt using climashield apex 5.0. Since I'm pretty new to this I don't want to invest a ton of my time in designing and building. I stumbled upon ripstopbytheroll.com's 3/4 length underquilt set up. Which is probably the route I will go for simplicity's sake. I plan on modifying it by doing ripstop sewn channels on the foot and head ends instead of grosgrain to allow for a tighter cinch. I noticed some underquilts have sewn channels along the long sides as well with shock cord running through it as part of the suspension. Is there an advantage to that design over just using linelocs on the ends to position the underquilt like instructed in RBTR's design? What fabrics are people using for their shell material? I'm assuming a windproof fabric would be best to help conserve heat? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I just made an UQ with Double Layers of 7.5z climashield. Here is my video on what I did. If you want the plans/patterns holla

https://youtu.be/djpsI_tGO7w

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

A couple of years ago, I made a full length UQ from the Ripstop by the Roll kit using the Apex 5. Your plan to not use grosgrain is good. I made mine with the grosgrain end channels but later ripped them out and replaced them with channels made from ripstop for the very reason you suggest - a better cinch with less accordion folding.

The suspension is per the directions with linelocs on the corners. It works and I've not seen the need to change to channels on the long sides, though I assume channels would work well.

For shell material make sure at least one side is calendared material for wind resistance, preferably both.

I've found Apex 5 good to about 30 degrees for me. I've gone lower, but start to feel the cold on my back when I do.

If you can get a Teflon foot for your sewing machine, it will make sewing those light slippery materials MUCH easier.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts