Getting a new setup and torn between models - input welcomed!

Hello, all!

Last season was my first venture into hammocking. Without doing as much research as I should have, I started out with the HH UBC and used a pad. However, now that I have a bit more of a feel for hammocking and know that it suits me, I want to invest a bit more into some gear. Mainly, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new hammock, suspension, and UQ. Then a TQ, nice tarp, and extras after another paycheck or two

I've been reading and digging through old posts and think I have things narrowed down, but could really use input.

Hammock
    This is where I'm the most stuck. I understand that there are a lot of personal variables that contribute to why certain hammocks work for certain people. So although I have it narrowed down to two hammocks, am I basically just flipping a coin to decide which hammock to buy at this point? The two that I'm looking at are the WBB XLC and the DH Sparrow. I've heard one of the best things about the DH Sparrow is the ability to customize everything, but I feel like I don't know enough of what I want to fully take advantage of that. The BB on the other hand seems more straight forward, well reviewed, I like the shelves, and there's a Colorado-proud element somewhere in there.

If it matters, I'm 5'10.5", 165 lbs, and am the type of sleeper that does a bit of tossing and turning from back to side throughout the night. And yes - side sleeping in the gathered-end seems works for me.

Underquilt
    I primarily do multiday backpack trips (a week tops), and have no current plans for a thru hike. So while I value lightweight, I'm not desperately trying to shave off ounces. That's why I'm looking at a full-length UQ. Aside from that, I want down (not synthetic) for the weight/pack volume/longevity. The two that I have in mind are the JRB Mt. Washington 20* and HG Incubator. They both seem to have lots of positive feedback. Although, I can't seem to find the weight of the JRB whereas the incubator is listed at 21.6oz.

Misc Questions:
    Until I can afford to invest in a nice tarp (Zpacks Cuban, Dyneema Hex), is there any cheap solution to hold me over for now? A hardware store blue tarp? It gets windy as hell in the Rockies most nights.

Thanks for reading!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If wind is your primary opponent in the staying warm tug-of-war, you might consider adding an Under Quilt Protector to your kit. Yes, some think they are not worth the cost/weight/setup and others love’em. As a UQPA (under quilt protector advocate), I’d say they add a lot of versatility; protection if wind direction changes, protection if you have to momentary drop the hammock to the ground, wider temperature range of usefulness for your UQ, less critical UQ setup.

Though the “Blue Tarp” will get you by, if there is a lot of wind, it could be a bit noisy. Also, I’m guessing the grommet holes are expecting just a “lash down” environment, not so much a flexing/tugging environment. A tarp is a definite expense - especially if you are going Cuban/Dyneema. Be sure to read the posts so you know the pros and cons over the Sils (poly and nylon).

But it’s difficult to make a mistake in that if you don’t like your first pick, you can sell it and consider the paid for-sold for difference the cost of education. If it’s a quality product, it would probably sell for a reasonable discount in the For Sale forum. I’m mentioning that “bail-out” option because some spend a bit of time trying to figure out the “best” product when “best” is a moving target depending on season, hammock style, storm/nice weather ratio. I’d wager the most people’s First Year gear is not what they end up using in the third or forth year.

The sooner you get out there with something, the quicker your selection will be refined by experience. From what I’ve read, if I had it to go over again, and I had a WBBB, I’d strongly consider a Wookie UQ for that.

My WB hammocks are BB and RR and my UQ’s for the GE hammocks are all from HG except a couple of light WildernessLogics summer UQ’s I take on day hikes. I don’t have a Wookie for the BB myself because I already have a LOT invested in 0, 20, 40, summer UQ’s. And because I use different hammocks, the traditional UQ is more versatile.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’d strongly consider a Wookie UQ for that.
    I really debated just getting the BB and Wookie as I like the idea of the UQ being made for the hammock. But like you said, I may find that I don't like the BB, sell it, and get something else. That was my mindset behind getting a generic UQ. However, if I can re-sell the UQ for a decent bit, that may very well be an avenue to explore.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The BB and Wookie is make things so simple. Super easy.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I approached this process a few years ago with the idea that I would do as much homework as possible and then make a sensible choice (known vendor, lots of quality feedback, try to envision my "future hammock me" as much as possible and then make my purchases with the understanding that I would probably not switch to another vendor for a long, long time. In other words, "buy once - cry once" as opposed to buy, buy again, and buy again. Neither process is better than the other. It's more about how you like to approach things.

As it turned out, I've stayed with my original choices and while there "might" be better options in the market since then, I will never know since I'm sticking with my preferred process. I sleep well every night and I camp well each time I'm out. I'm okay with not knowing. Someone else might prefer to always chase the next great hammock. Either way works.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The are both great hammocks. I use the Wookie with my DH Sparrow, no problem.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    The are both great hammocks. I use the Wookie with my DH Sparrow, no problem.
    Did you have to make any adjustments to the rubber band or carabiner?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisc View Post
    Did you have to make any adjustments to the rubber band or carabiner?
    I make adjustments to the rubber band end. For both my WBBB XLC and DH Sparrow I've gone to longer or whoopie ridge lines because my sweet spot is with a ridge line is longer than OEM. My bugnet/top do not fit my DH Sparrow at my custom length, but I can take in the whoopie if I need to and they will fit. For my WBBB XLC the bugnet/top still work because there was enough slack to accommodate the lengthened ridge line.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nothing has matched the comfort of my Dream Hammock for me. If I could combine my Chameleon with my Dream Hammock, everything would be perfect. I have the regular BB and it is too short for my liking. The XLC probably would have done well for me. Curious why you aren't looking at the Chameleon?

Wooki is pretty nice. I usually use Hammock Gear though.

I have a Chill Gorilla tarp that I use at home that works well for big and cheap.
    Last edited by durunner; 05-20-2020 at 14:36.

• + New Posts