Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What hammock do you have?
    Heavy 4wd camping or hiking weight or ultralite?
    I'll share my hammock journey so far. I'm in same area as you.
    Coming from 4wd camping to a HH required an UQ so i took an old synthetic -5 sleeping bag some shock cord and office binder clips and bobs your aunty cheapskate redneck UQ.
    It worked down to -2°c out at Canarvon Gorge on a hiking trip.
    Took ages to set up properly.
    My son still uses this set up.
    I upgraded to a Warbonnet blackbird XLC with matching 20°f(-6°c) Warbonnet wooki UQ.
    Set up time of the UQ is now 10 seconds and so comfortable and warm. Bit the bullet with a diamond back TQ 0°f(-17°c). I'd recommend ordering 0°f to accommodate future cold climate hangs. As you know US-Aus exchange rate makes US cottage products double in price by the time it gets to your hands.
    I took 6 Costco down quilts (Ipswich Costco) and made a TQ and UQ for my daughters Warbonnet Eldorado. I followed plans found on this forum.
    700 fillpower down all over the room no matter how careful i was. TQ turned out a treat. Packs down small and she's used it to -1°c so far. Cost was about $140 but quality looked great off the sewing machine sadly ordinary 1 year later. The UQ needs more work as she has cold spots.
    My recommendation for you is use a cheap sleeping bag redneck style and save for whichever Under Quilt that tickles your fancy.

Undercling Mike on bushwalk.com has a good reputation here in OZ for Top Quilt.

Hammock
    Alton Goods UL Hammock
    Tarp
    Alton Goods UL 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit UltralightV
    Suspension
    TierGear W-Slings
    I'd just started getting into overnight backpacking before everything happened at the start of the year and I'm hoping to do much much more when everything blows over. Down options are looking like a good option to put some cash aside for right now because I don't think parks will open up properly until june-july.

I've just picked up an Alton Goods UL hammock as a little birthday present, while not wanting to follow the ultralight religion, weight savings are not something I will ignore.

Do you know if the Ipswich store still stock those quilts, 2Stroke? I'd love to get my hands on some to test out a DIY option with them

Quote Originally Posted by BilliusTheRed View Post

Do you know if the Ipswich store still stock those quilts, 2Stroke? I'd love to get my hands on some to test out a DIY option with them
    They did a couple of months ago, but i haven't been in 6 weeks. Give them a ring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12