DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down, UGQ down
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle

Howdi from western Montana

Hey all! I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I've been a backpacker for, gee, goin' into my fifth decade now. Seems like a fella would gain more sense in that amount of time and opt not to carry a burden into undeveloped woodlands. At least I finally discovered that sleepin' on the ground is for deer and bears. We advanced human-types need to treat our bodies to a better night's rest after hauling our belongings into the outback.

I tried hammock camping last year by burrowing gear and going into the hills with two buddies that were willing to show me the ropes. Needless to say, I got hooked. Now I'm all hammock geared up and chompin' at the bit to get at it. COVID-19 be damned, I'm going backpacking! Heck, I'm an expert at social distancing in the wilderness.

We've been very fortunate here in western Montana that the virus hasn't taken hold like other places. Our population is low and spread out over a huge area.
    I truly feel sorry for other folks that don't have it so easy during this nasty pandemic. Please, everyone, do what is necessary to keep yourself and your loved ones safe and healthy. We will get through this but it will take some time and practical precautions.

Hope to be sharing some experiences from the great outdoors with many of you real soon. And I trust I can count on most of you to help me get used to this new form of pitchin' camp and fashioning a bedroll. I was out for three nights not too long ago and it sure was nice to be sleeping ABOVE the snow.

Be talkin' with ya again soon. Get out there when ya can.

Giraffe

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Howdy back at you Giraffe, I live just down hill and to the south of you between Stevensville and Corvallis. I moved over here from Bozeman three years ago and have spent much of the time building a small place. However I still make forays into the Bitterroots when the time allows. I had great plans to bike part of the Great Divide Bike Trail this summer. However, prostate surgery has intervened and I'm trying to get healed up. Put this on top of the chinese virus and I've decided to limit my forays to local trips this summer. Polson is an outstanding place to be living. Access to a lot of nice country as well as the lake. I spent a few decades working the Bob, Missions, Swans, and Scapegoats before moving down to the Yellowstone Ecosystem. You are a couple decades younger than me, but perhaps we can get together for a trip later after I've managed to heal up and get rolling again.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down, UGQ down
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Thank you the welcome OlTrailDog.
    I don't know if I'm much younger than you. I'll be 62 this summer.
    The Bitterroots are my favorite backpacking area. But I like the Pioneers and Sapphires as well.
    Great hiking and excellent fly fishing in all those areas.

Do what you need to do to get healed up. We'll keep in touch here and perhaps find an occasion to meet up in the backcountry.

Hello to both of you. I lived in Eastern MT for a while, and really fell in love with the whole state. Did a lot of elk hunting out your way, but mostly out of wall tents. I actually started hanging in eastern MT, but trees were not quite as plentiful as I might have liked, except around the Milk river, which was nearby. We are likely to move back out west in the next 5 years or so.

Hope you heal up soon OTD!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Thanks to both of you for the encouraging words!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Welcome from Bozeman! Love Polson and the Flathead area. Been there many times (especially Melita Island). Maybe our paths will cross on some of our magnificent trails.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts